10| The Wolf Game

Hiya guys! (Does that remind you of someone..? Idk.) Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I entered the #Wattys2015 !

I'd love if you guys helped and supported me in this, by sharing this story! (A vote and a comment are also as always highly appreciated!)

Anyhoo—I also made this authors note to let you know that I'm going on holiday quite soon! Yay! After that I promise new updates! Yay! I love you guys xoxo

- Vivian

_______________________________

I slammed my back against the big bailas tree, its rough bark scratching against my skull. I was panting, my breath coming in ragged takes.

I closed my eyes. It was impossible; I had survived.

The moment I had looked up, into the blood red depths of the creature's eyes, it had frozen.

I now understood why they called it eye-contact. It was like I could see into the soul of the vicious predator. I stared into the scarlet eyes of the wolf, and I saw emotion. I saw anger, bloodlust... and fear.

The moment my blue eyes had met the eyes of the wolf, he had halted, even taking a step back. It was like it cowered in fear, even if it was for just a mere second.

And that second was all I needed.

I jumped up and ran into the cover of the trees nearby, not knowing if the Mekayka wolf followed me. After a while I stopped, and now I stood there, panting, pressed against the wood.

I strained my ears for any sound.

Nothing.

Opening my eyes, I took another shivery breath. I pushed myself away from the tree. I rubbed my hands over my face one last time, reassuring myself that I was okay.

Tenna, you're going to be fine. Focus on getting back to camp–

Suddenly, a massive, ear-shattering screech tore through the woods. Instinctively, I crouched to the ground, protecting my ears with my hands. The noise was loud and ongoing, wailing as a sort of alarm.

And all of a sudden it was quiet again.

The deafening wail stopped, but it was still ringing in my ears. The woods fell quiet again—I heard some small animals scurry away into the woods.

What was that?

The camp.

I whipped around, the tips of my just a bit too long brown hair pricking in my eyes. I finally recognised my surroundings.

I set in a sprint to camp.

* * *

Camp was a wreck.

Smoke stung in my eyes as I saw nothing but chaos. There were people running around with weapons and torches, ducking and running from who knows what. It was dark. The darkness was interrupted by blue flashes of electro-guns, which were illuminating the eerie shadows of the huts and tents, some of which were ablaze.

The whizzing sounds of electro-guns sounded all around me, some of them already finding their victims. A man had fallen on the ground a distance away from me, his body shaking and contracting as the glowing blue dart drove itself further in the soft skin of his neck. His shakes flipped him over, his mouth hanging open and his eyes fluttering feverishly. I stood still, not daring to move at the sight. I remembered what Ryth had said—don't touch them, it'll be your end as well.