34| In The Blink Of a Dance

Fairlands?

"Please, Lady Kyara, call me Lord Fairlands when in unfamiliar presence," the man said, his voice deep from under his white mask. I couldn't see his face, since it was largely covered by a thin, white mask, simply decorated with some geometric black lines. The mask suited his all-black suit, the only decoration a line of white diamond shapes on his sleeves and collar. His shoes, however, were bright red.

For that moment, I was glad I was wearing my black lace mask as well, for I was unable to hide my flushed cheeks and curious eyes.

My eyes darted over this strange man's face, trying to find any resemblances or familiarities. I couldn't see his eyes, since they were hidden by his mask. His mouth was parted into a polite smile, a neatly trimmed beard on his cheeks, streaked with some grey. His hair colour was hard to determine, since it had been slicked back—I assumed it was mainly grey.

"Jonah Fairlands, glad to come your acquaintance," he said, bowing shortly. He swapped the cane he was leaning on to his other hand, stretching it out to me. The cane was made of wood, and had a clear crystal as knob on the end. It wasn't just a piece of decoration which complemented his outfit—he was heavily leaning on it whilst he stood. When he had walked up to us, I had also noticed a small limp in his step.

I laid my hand in his as he brought it to his forehead, a sign of mutual respect.

"Tenna Diyawood, likewise," I said. "Are you enjoying the ball, Lord Fairlands?"

He let my hand go, swapping it back to his cane. "Oh, yes I am. I hear the Darkloft Gardens are exquisite," he said, vaguely gesturing to the back of the hall. "They are true collectors of rare plants and blossoms."

He took a breath, "But, I assume you know all about that. I hear the Diyawoods have quite the collection themselves, back in the Wastelands."

I swallowed as I tried to conjure up an appropriate answer. My mind was blank. I knew Allie had told me about it—but I couldn't remember exactly what it had been. "Yes," I stuttered, hoping he'd buy my story, "They're beautiful." I ended up saying. Less of an answer is less chance for mistakes, right?

"Aha," he said, cocking his head slightly. "I'm afraid I'll have to leave you to it, Ladies. More guests to attend to. Lady Blackwater, Lady Diyawood."

He turned away to leave, but quickly turned back as if he had remembered something, "Lady Kyara, could we talk for a moment? I have an... issue we have to discuss."

The bubbly fifteen-year-old suddenly got a serious expression. Her smile faded. She nodded, "Naturally, Lord Fairlands," she said, dipping her chin.

Fairlands left, Kyara in his wake. Her short, white-striped blue dress wavered behind her as she stepped into pace with the Lord, her stride confident and her head held high.

"What for?" I asked the moment they were out of earshot.

Riven laughed, "You sure are a curious one," she said. "Kyara is the eldest of the Jadefire Family, and has been the head since her mother died. Her father is unfit, so she had to take over her mother's role."

I nodded slowly, "Women in charge, I like that."

"Why, is it so much different in the Wastelands?" Riven asked unbelievably, "Women know best how to take care of others, since they all have the mother instinct. They know best what's the right thing to do—other than men, who are ruled by their egos. Kyara is doing a wonderful job as head, she knows when to split business and pleasure."

I smiled, but still wondered, "There are some men in charge though, Lord Fairlands for example," I said. I was curious how the system worked, but yet I was also curious about Jonah Fairlands. I had to find a connection, somewhere, anywhere. I had to know more.