30| Hidden Truths

Light flooded out of the ballroom stretching out before me. Before I could even thank the grey-clad regg servant who had opened the door, he dipped his chin and scurried away. I turned my gaze back to the ballroom, the music and faint sounds of laughter grasping my attention.

A high balcony ran along the sides of the gigantic chamber, perched on tall marble pillars. Glowing lanterns were attached to each pillar, each enlightening a part of the balcony in small patches of light. There were several uppers conversing or walking over the balustrade, or watching over the people walking or dancing on the ground below. Where the pillars on each side of the ballroom met on the side opposite to me, was a large translucent staircase, which would lead to the rest of the Blackwater Residence, I supposed. The crystal seemed to glow by itself.

In the middle of the enormous ballroom was a golden-lit, sunken dance floor, on which several couples were dancing.

One couple waltzed their way all over the dance floor, and I recognised them as the woman in the blue dress covered with blossoms and the man with the dark green suit. They rudely interrupted several couples which were dancing and conversing at the same time, making them have to step aside so they wouldn't bump into each other. The couple simply ignored them, not minding where they were going or who they were almost crashing into.

I shifted my gaze away from the dance floor, to the crystalline chandelier hanging from the near-black ceiling, covered with asterisms resembling a midnight sky. I regarded the intricate constellations. What the hell?

Back home, if the weather allowed it, I had often climbed onto the roof of the cabin, only to stare at the sky for hours. I knew the constellations in the sky like the back of my hand—these were in no way alike.

"I know, they're worthless," a feminine voice sounded beside me.

I turned my head, not startled by the gentle voice beside me. I was greeted by a beautiful, dark-skinned woman wearing an elegant, vibrant red dress. The thin fabric flowed around her body like she was standing in a non-existent breeze, the long pieces of cloth attached to her shoulders like a fiery cape.

Her dark brown eyes, the colour matching her curly hair, shifted away from the ceiling to meet mine. Her curls bounced in their ringlets, curling around her slender shoulders. "Riven Blackwater," she introduced, making a small reverence.

"Oh," I stammered as I recognised her as the woman in the picture, "I know—I mean—" I took a deep breath. "It is my first time at a real ball. I'm a bit speechless by it all."

The Lady Blackwater giggled, hiding her mouth behind a slender hand laden with golden rings. "Let us try that again, then," she said straightening her shoulders and making a reverence. "I'm Riven Blackwater," she said.

I returned the gesture. "Congratulations with your name day, my Lady," I said, reciting the lines Allie had taught me. "My name is Tenna Diyawood. Glad to come your acquaintance."

"Likewise," she answered with a small smile, turning her gaze to the ballroom stretching out before us.

There was a moment of silence, wherein my ears were buzzing and my stomach a pit of nerves. I was hoping I was doing this right. Of all people I had to meet the hostess first. Luckily, she didn't seem as horrible or shallow as I had anticipated.

Was I supposed to say something? I had no idea what. I couldn't compliment the host's choice of decoration or music like Allie had advised me to do—I was with the host. Allie hadn't prepared me for this. I cursed mentally for staying silent.

"Diyawood, you said?" the Lady Blackwater asked, as she plucked a high glass filled with a bubbly silver drink from a tray floating by. "Any relation to the late Arlon Diyawood?"