Prologue

(August 2023: This was something written back on August 2022, a whole year ago. I took it down not long after it was published but I thought about reuploading it. No plans to update it, however.)

A young man can be seen sinking in a metaphysical water. He had white hair, blue eyes, and is overall relatively attractive. Satoru Mikami's face was expressionless. However, the emotions packed in his eyes held such intensity that no words could describe.

The light rapidly faded away as the darkness began to swallow him. He embraced it, fully prepared for what was to come, like all the darkness of his life was about to end. 

Is that it? Really?

His whole life was nothing short of hell itself. Suffering from childhood to pre-adulthood. The pain he has experienced is enough to drive a regular person to insanity.

However, he felt that he doesn't have a right to complain. 

After all, he also was the cause of so many others' misfortune, pain, and deaths. Even the two people who gave him the affection he so needed and desired, were killed all because of him. He felt that he could never truly rest in peace because of what he did.

The darkness in the bottomless chasm of water he was sinking in was gradually swallowing him whole.

Right now, he was at the last moments of his consciousness, as he was neither dead nor alive, but he was certainly falling to the former instead of the latter. A few seconds, or milliseconds, and he would be dead.

He lost the will to live, lost his whole world, and is now dead. 

Asking him to live after all he'd gone through was nothing short of torture.

Just as he was about to get swallowed by the darkness, Satoru recalled his past moments in life.

.....

....

...

Please... don't blame yourself... Live

The woman—no older than 17—said to him as her breathing began to gradually diminish in his arms.

No, please... 

Gunshots and explosions. The house they were in was bombarded with bullets in virtually all directions.

Given Satoru's abilities, he could probably escape from the place. However, his mind was so numb with the scene in front of him that he couldn't move. He couldn't even feel the anguish, hatred, or grief, as his mind was trying to reject all of them in an attempt to spare him from a complete emotional breakdown.

The two people he so holds dear. The people that gave light to the pure darkness that was his life, were now lying lifelessly in front of him, amidst the violent sounds of gunshots tearing through the air.

5 seconds, 10 seconds, a minute. And then—

A warbling, echoing sound approached from the distance. An explosion followed the impact that set the house on flames symbolizing humanity's corruption.

The house exploded, including the three people, now dead, inside.

.....

....

...

Satoru wanted to cry, he wanted to wail around and throw a mess.

He wanted to complain to the world itself why his life was what it was—Hell.

On one hand, he wanted to die so bad, rest in all-encompassing tranquility to finally spare him from the suffering.

On the other hand, he wanted to live, to grant the last wishes of the people that gave his life meaning.