Chapter 5: The Banquet

tw: brief mention of self harm, nothing graphic

-ˋˏ ༻✧༺ ˎˊ-

It was the day of the banquet and your mother had been ordering you around all morning like a maid. After running her laundry list of errands, you joined her in the kitchen to help cook. Your mother had also succumbed to the thought of allowing a few chefs to help, along with catering. There were just too many mouths to feed, the two of you couldn't do this on your own. As of right now, it was only early afternoon so you and your mother prepped alone for the time being before help arrived.

Usually, things like this would be a time of bonding for a mother and daughter but you guys barely shared a word besides her giving you directions.

"That's too much pepper Y/n. Jesus christ." She sighed, pulling the cutting board away from you.

"Sorry, but didn't you want me to season the chicken?"

"Not that much, it'll taste like shit and lose the natural flavor. Just-" She rubbed her temple, "Sit down and cut the tails off the asparagus."

You nodded and quietly sat on the other side of the island. Part of you hoped that maybe, just maybe, the two of you could've had some fun while doing this. But you quickly scolded yourself for being so naive.

Your mother glanced at you across the island as if she were about to vomit at the thought of making small talk with her daughter.

"So..." She said.

You looked up, wary of more orders.

"Do you see that boy?" She asked.

No orders, finally.

"Who?"

Her eyes didn't leave the cutting board. "The one next door."

Oh, him.

"We have a class together." You replied casually. A silence followed and you assumed that was the end of the conversation.

"Are you two like, friends?" She asked, breaking the quiet. You eyed her for a moment before responding with a hint of skepticism.
"No, not really."

"He's handsome. He seems like he gets a lot of attention." She added in a nonchalant attempt to make more conversation. Although, her comment struck you as pretty random.

"Yeah... He does."

"Do you like him?"

Now that was a question you hadn't anticipated.

"No, we're neighbors."

She finally looked at you. "Good... Keep it that way." Her eyes pierced through the distance like two arrows raging.

"Kay." You responded, breaking eye contact to focus on your task.

I wasn't planning on ever dating him.

Why would she even say that?

-ˋˏ ༻✧༺ ˎˊ-