whisper

"Ow!" I yell

    "Ow!" I yell. I can feel a small rock penetrating the skin on the bottom of my foot and I don't think I have ever been in so much pain. I take off my sandal and pull the rock out of my foot and inspect the dent it made. Nice.

Well, the first day of lifeguarding was something. I thought me and Xander would've killed each other by the end of the day but hey, I managed to get through it. Yes, it was...weird at moments. But in general, I survived. He survived...sadly. And now I can move on to tomorrow when I will finally get some actual alone time lifeguarding with Dylan. With zero interruptions. Thank god. Not to mention we have the coffee date tomorrow too after work, so I finally have some time to get to know him without Satan getting in the way. Why is he always in the way of my happiness?

    I walk into the house through the backdoor, "Mom? Aaron?" I yell through the house. Huh, guess I'm home alone.

    I call Mia and Liz and ask if they want to come over, order take out and have our weekly gossip session. They say they'll be over in 20 minutes. I change into some sweatpants and a sweatshirt and make myself comfy on the couch while I wait for the girls.

    "Mia, you can't just kidnap a dog, that's not how life works," I'm scrolling on my phone as I hear Lizzy's disciplining voice to Mia.

    "Looks like I missed something," I say and laugh turning around on the couch as the other two flop down across and beside me.

    "Mia wants to steal a dog," Lizzy says holding her head in her hands.

    "I don't necessarily want to steal it, I just want to borrow the dog and never give it back," she says defending herself looking at me pointedly.

    I laugh and shake my head at the two while they continue to bicker about what the definition of stealing is. Lizzy has always been the 'mom' of the group. She deals with Mia and me whenever we make stupid choices and or want to make stupid choices. I trust that girl with my life. Mia, on the other hand, would trade me in for even a single lick of a vanilla ice cream cone.

    I order some Mcdonald's and we continue to talk about our weeks. Even though we see each other every other day and tell each other everything we always have these weekly 'wrap-up' sessions at my house.

    "So A, how was lifeguarding with Xander?" Lizzy asks me as she eats her fries.

    "It was...something," I say. Don't get me wrong, I tell these girls everything, but if I tell them everything about him specifically, they are so going to say 'I told you so.'

    "Ooh, what happened? Tell us everything," Mia says leaning in and clasping her hands together.

    I sigh, "Nothing even happened! We got there and Dylan was sitting in his chair so Xander kicked him out, then we argued, as usual, and he caught me staring it was weird, then we went for our break and Xander sort of kicked Dylan out again and then I kicked Satan in the balls for like, the thousandth time," I say quickly and shove a bite of my cheeseburger into my mouth.