[5]

Despite how tired the group was none of them really slept

Despite how tired the group was none of them really slept. Erin and Nancy's dreams were plagued by images of the monster charging towards them, trapping them in the decaying dimension forever. Instead they spent most of the night making a detailed plan and supply list. They were going to draw the monster to them using their blood, thinking the predator was like a shark. Then they were going to trap it and light it on fire. They wouldn't admit it out loud but they were all completely terrified.

  It was seven in the morning when the group decided to finally head out. After getting to rest a little and put some food in stomach Erin had a lot more energy. Enough for the two boys to sneak out of the window while Nancy greeted her family downstairs. They carefully scaled the side of Nancy's house, Erin almost falling from getting his foot stuck on the way down.

  Landing with a soft thud, he followed Jonathan, ducking into the bushes as they passed the windows. They ran across the lawn hopping into Jonathan's car and cranking it, honking once to let Nancy know.

Jonathan sat in the passenger seat messing with the radio while they waited for Nancy. Erin was laying across the back seat staring at the ceiling as he listened to Jonathan flip through the songs. As a familiar tune began to hum through the radio Erin shot up with a gasp gripping Jonathan's shoulder making him jump.

"This was our song man!" He exclaimed to the boy leaning forward to turn up the radio. 'Psycho Killer' by Talking Heads blared through the radio, Jonathan smiled fondly, remembering the first time the two had heard the song. They were in the 6th grade, holed up in Jonathan's room as the rain poured. The pair had been beyond bored, laying upside down listening to the radio.

"Those were the days" Jonathan smiled before his expression turned serious. He turned to Erin looking at him sincerely. "Rin. I just.. I'm really sorry for ending our friendship. You were a really great friend"

Erin gave him a weak smile, sitting back in the seat. He didn't know what to say. During the summer leading up to ninth grade he had managed to lose both Jonathan and Steve. He cared for them, loved them like brothers, trusted them with almost anything. They were the ones he came crying to, the ones that protected him from bullies. Then one day, they both stopped answering his calls. They both would ignore him in public. He was crushed. Especially by Steve. The first boy he had ever even had a crush on.

He luckily didn't have to respond as Nancy hopped in the car. She gave the two boys a smile, Erin swallowing the lump in his throat and beaming back at her. Jonathan turned around in his seat and cranked the car without a word, pulling out of the cul de sac.

  As they rode through town Erin rested his head on the back window, taking in his surroundings. Flashes of that other world were still fresh in his memory. He felt as if he couldn't separate himself from it. It was always present in the back of his mind. He hoped killing that disgusting monster would put an end to everything.