[14]

It had been almost a month since the night of the party and since then Erin and Steve had gotten quite close

It had been almost a month since the night of the party and since then Erin and Steve had gotten quite close. Erin had started to notice that Steve was actually quite lonely in that big house all by himself. To help with that Erin suggested the two of them start having sleepovers. Steve was unsure at first, going as far as to ask "Are you sure seventeen year olds even have sleepovers?" Secretly though, it made his heart flutter. The two of them had even spent Thanksgiving together at the Henderson house. Mr. Henderson was out of town on business so Erin's mother was beyond thrilled to fill the empty seat at the table.

  Becoming close with Steve had given Erin a lighter outlook on life. He had even gained his motivation to write music again. He was writing day and night, trying to make the perfect song for Steve as a Christmas present.

   He felt like with as close as they had gotten that there was a possibility Steve could reciprocate Erin's feelings finally. He hoped that his song would be the perfect way to test that.

  Today was officially Christmas. Erin's favorite holiday. Even as he got older and no longer believed in Santa he still found magic in the holiday. The blanket of snow surrounding their home, the hot cocoa and candy canes his mother gave them every Christmas Eve, the way Dustin lit up when talking about what he hoped he his presents were, and not to mention the delicious Christmas dinner.

  This year would be a little different though. Mrs. Henderson had gotten a serious position in sales and tonight she had invited her boss to join them for Christmas luncheon in an attempt to get a good raise in the new year. The entire family, minus Mr. Henderson who just drank the whole time, scrubbed the house spotless. Now, at eleven in the morning after presents had already been opened, the trio was cooking away in the kitchen.

"Oh Dusty!" Claudia exclaimed grabbing the bowl of mashed potatoes "You have to leave the potatoes at least a little lumpy! Go on and set the table. Mr. Hammond will be here in an hour!"

Dustin raised his hands in surrender, trudging off to the dining room. Erin laughed softly as he continued to chop pineapple to add to the fruit platter. Claudia sat the potatoes on the counter with a sigh, wiping the sweat from her forehead. "Whoever said having your boss over on the busiest holiday of the year was simply a lunatic"

"I mean, we could've invited him over for New Years" Erin shrugged placing the final piece of fruit in the tray. "What now Ma?"

Claudia smiled at her oldest son, stroking his cheek. "You've always been such a great help Erin. Thank you. Could you and Dustin carry everything out to the table?"

Erin nodded in response, grabbing his fruit platter and carrying it out to the table. The boy grimaced as he caught a glimpse of his father from the living room. Claudia had managed to get him dressed up but it was to no avail. The drunkard was already covered in beer passed out on the couch. He was pathetic.

The boy rolled his eyes as he placed the platter down. "Mom wants your help carrying all the food out. Don't spill it" Erin teased ruffling Dustin's hair making him grimace.