Chapter Five

My father walked into the living room and took a seat on his easy chair. He picked up the newspaper he had from yesterday and opened it up. He took one look at Jeph and then shoved the newspaper up to his nose.

My mother called me away to help her with dinner. I got up happily and then walked towards the kitchen. My mother took the food out of the oven and set it on the stove. The sides were on the coasters already scattered around the kitchen. I looked at mother and talked to her.

"Mother, is Jeph still going to stay here? I asked her. She chuckled lightly at my question.

"Of course he's going to stay. Your fahther and I are at an agreement. He can stay as long as he doesn't try anything funny." She said. I nodded.

Did my father know that Jeph was the rumored "suspect of Greenbow"? But Jeph wasn't a criminal...he was a magic man. Not that my father would believe me if I told him nonetheless. It was what it was.

I continued with putting the plates on the table and adding the sides on their coasters. And right smack dab in the middle was the main meal. The big dish itself.

I then walked to the living room to gather my father and Jeph. My father held the newspaper up just enough to appear to be spying on and studying Jeph Baylor. He then started conversation with him.

"So....Jeph, where did you say you were from?" He asked in an interrogative manner. Jeph immediately responded confidently with his answer.

"Montana. Bozeman Montana." Jeph said. My father nodded.

"Well, Bozeman Montana is quite a few miles away...why did you come all the way over to Mayhew?" My father asked.

"I came here looking for a nice quiet town to relax in but also find work. I found that the larger places...although Bozeman isn't like Mayhew...it was a little bit too much. I needed a more secluded town to just find work and rest my weary mind. Tomorrow I start searching for jobs so we shall see." Jeph said. My father nodded and put the newspaper on the table next to his chair.

"Well, let's get some food in ya before your big day tomorrow. Wouldn't wanna stop ya from eating." My father said playfully. Him and Jeph chuckled.

"Well, I sure hope not." Jeph said and the two followed me into the dining room where my mother was standing next to the table covered with food. 

"Wow, it looks good Naomi. I hope it tastes as good as it looks." My father joked. My mother smiled with laughter and told him to stop it.

He walked over to my mother's seat and pulled her chair out. She sat down and he scooted her in. Then, the three of us men took our seats. My mother looked around the table and asked if Jeph would like to say grace. He accepted the offer gladly and did so.

"Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you for allowing us to be here together tonight to enjoy some good...(he opened his eyes and looked at the main dish and then closed his eyes) chicken. I ask you to bless this food and make it a nourishment unto our bodies. Bless the hands that have prepared it and the bodies that will consume it. We ask all of this in your name. Amen." Jeph prayed. We all said amen after him and began to eat.

The food we ate that night was good. The conversations that were held were decent and enjoyable. It was a pleasant experience, which based on the previous night, had not been seen coming.

After dinner, we all left to wash up and get ready for bed. I heard a knock on my door. I went to go open it and it was Jeph. Not mother.

"I just wanted to say goodnight, that's all." Jeph said kindly. His gentle 60 year old face gleamed with eccentric nostalgia and years of experience. I nodded.