15- Truth or dare

I was supposed to relish the little peace I had after ages but we don't always do what we have to. Peace chooses who can have it because I'm in a situation where I shouldn't be worrying about anything and yet my mind is nowhere near empty. I have peace but it doesn't want me to have it. So we're in a little tug of war at the moment and I'm on the losing end.

The awaited team dinner was today and most of the staff had decided to spend their precious free time with the Chief for our success. We did grow as a company and individually in the last few months. I'm not so sure about myself at the moment.

Chief had reserved a table for seventeen in his favorite BBQ restaurant. We've always had a company dinner here. The situation reminds me of the first time we had a company dinner here, I was still new to the company and somebody had hung a paper over the board for voting. We had to choose between two restaurants and when my time came to vote, I was surprised to see that people were voting for a random BBQ place over 'Dragon Fusion Bistro'. Hear me out, everybody knows Dragon Fusion Bistro'. So, I was the only one who voted for it. A little later, Aubrie came running to me flushed, we were still getting to know each other, she grabbed me by my wrist and took me for some 'private girl talk' where she convinced me to change my vote.

I don't get why the Chief likes this place so much. Although An aesthetic place is always great for good photography. Noah was already on his 'take as many pictures as possible' mission. Yes, it was an amazing place to just sit and admire the work of art around you.

I was still stuck in 'yesterday' to enjoy free food. I wondered how I'd go back to Joshua Kim's place with the same attitude I had the other day.

Would I be able to hold my demeanor? I guess not.

           "Hey, Valarie, snap out of it," Noah waved his hand right in front of my face and snapped me out of my gloomy thoughts.

           "What the hell are you thinking? That shit looks scary," he snickered pointing his finger at my forehead. Right, he has to go there.

I had no idea that I had been frowning all this time.

           "Just thinking about what to do with your existence," I shrugged putting a piece of roasted beef into my mouth. Wow! This is good. It felt like it was melting into my mouth. Food is incredible. It's about the only thing that could help with emotions.

           "I know right? Tell me about it," Aubrie joined us. My eyes fell on the Chief chatting with Jennifer. She's an aspiring poet who just signed up with us for the literary column. Now that we've got investors and people who want to work with us, we're expanding the columns. I even heard a rumor that the chief is going to get our office renovated. But that's probably just a rumor.

           "I think it's a good idea to start a literary column," I spoke earning a nod from Aubrie.

           "I'd hate to differ but I don't see why it's important to read about the leaves falling and the wind blowing," Noah leaned back with a distant look.

           "Poetry is not just about what you see Noah. I don't think a dimwit like you will get it anyway," Aubrie rasped, she would never lose a point against him for the bliss of it. And for that record, she's right. Poetry is not for dumb people like Noah who take everything superficially. Growing up, I used to read poems a lot. A poem called 'Kubla Khan' by Samuel Taylor Coleridge is especially my favorite and it also resonates with Noah's ability of disability to be amongst the non-readers who will never be able to envision the world he created.

           "I'm not interested in poetry but I managed to convince Jennifer with the amazing conversational skills that I happen to possess. That's what a dimwit can do," he eyed her like the moron he is.