Chapter 10

It's Saturday, and Iris and I sit at brunch. The rest of the week went by fast, other than a few more arguments with James, awkward late nights at the office and the overwhelming urge to let the cars that pass by on the street run me over. Her date with Scrub Daddy knockoff went unfortunately well. I should call him Marcus now, as that was part of our deal, but I'm too much in disbelief.

"He picked me up in this super fancy car," Iris had told me. "And then he took me to this amazing sushi place. He told me about how he got his idea for the sponge-"

"Scrub Daddy knockoff." I corrected her. She gave me a dirty look before continuing.

"Anyways, he told me a lot about his childhood and how he always wanted to be an entrepreneur. After that, we got dessert at this small ice cream place. Since he knows the owners, we ate for free! We didn't stay out too late, and before he left, he gave me a goodnight kiss! And let me just say Flo, he is a damn good kisser."

Scrub Daddy kn- Marcus? I thought, trying not to show the pure disbelief on my face. A good kisser? Is this some sort of alternate universe? How is Iris so charmed by that man? I swear he cast a love spell on her.

Now, as we study our menus, she talks about how for tonight's date, he's taking her mini golfing. Sounds like a high school date to me, but obviously high schoolers with money.
The kind of dates I went on in highschool were all the same; doing drugs and listening to shitty music. Occasionally, we would get Chinese or watch a movie, but there wasn't much variety. It was a lot of the same. I don't tell her this though.

"You should get a mimosa," she says. "The mimosas here are great."

It seems like Iris has been to every restaurant and bar in the city. She seems very experienced in the world of new york food but that often leads her to trying to control what you do and don't order.

"I don't really like mimosas Iris." She gasps and puts a hand on her heart.

"No mimosas? But what do you drink at brunch?" Her eyes are wider than the sun.

"Coffee."

"You're kidding! You're at a nice brunch. Take advantage of it! You should at least get a rosé, or even an Irish coffee if you're set on the coffee idea. Drinks first, then coffee. It's the brunch formula. You can kill two birds with one stone if you get the Irish coffee." She studies the menu as if she hasn't already probably memorized it.

"I'm thinking French toast sticks," she says. "Or maybe the French style omelet. I'm in a French mood. How about you?"

I look at the menu and evaluate all the options. I think I'm in the mood for something sweet, because I deserve it after the bitter week I've had. I don't want something too sweet though. Maybe chocolatey? My eyes drift to the section that's titled 'Wonderful Waffles.'

I could go for a waffle. I scan through the selections of extravagant waffle stacks. My eyes land on chocolate chip Belgian waffles.

"I think I'm going to get the chocolate chip Belgian waffles." I tell her.

She has a disgusted look on her face. "Seriously? Flo you can do better than that. What about the strawberry cheesecake stuffed waffles? Those are the way to go if you really want waffles. You strike me as an omelet girl. Get a spinach and cheese omelet. I think you'd love it. Or one with peppers and onions. Those hit the spot."

I drop my menu on the table "Iris Avery I am getting the chocolate chip waffles damnit."

"Okay, damn girl. Just a suggestion.." She politely folds her menu and places it on the table.