Chapter 11

Play the song when the * appears

--------------

Dear Ms Travers,

Please come in early on Monday morning so we can discuss your practice tests from last week and what is to come this week to help you improve. I would appreciate it if you came at 7:00 as I have a meeting at 8.

Sincerely,

James Wright

CEO of Wright Industries

Great.

—---------

I yawn as I enter the elevator Monday morning. I was not planning on waking up that early. Iris and I were up all night talking about her second date with her lover Mr Marcus (scrub daddy knockoff) Caruso. Things got a bit spicy so Iris was telling me every little detail. And while that was entertaining to say the least, it also meant only 3 hours of sleep. I lean against the elevator wall, my eyes fluttering shut. Maybe just a moment of rest...

"Ms. Travers?"

I jerk awake and see James standing right outside of the elevator doors. The elevator doors begin to close. He steps in between them and they retract.

"Why were you asleep in the elevator?"

"What do you mean?" I yawn. "I wasn't."

"There's no use in lying about it. I was wondering where you were, when I saw that the elevator had been going up and down and you were just sleeping through it."

"I have no recollection of that." I say as if this is a trial and I'm on the stand.

"Of course not, you were asleep."

I groan and walk past him out of the elevator and into the office, he follows.

"When you are ready, come to my office so we can discuss your work."

I nod and he disappears behind his office doors as I unpack my computer. I've been thinking that maybe I should put stuff on my desk. I mean, I don't want to turn into one of those office girls with a picture of her entire life sitting right by her laptop but I also want to make it mine. I don't really have anything to put either. No family photos, no children's drawings, no flowers.

Maybe I could put one of my paintings up, but I feel like that would be pretentious and showboaty. Maybe some stickers of different bottles of alcohol. That is more like it. Classy and boozy, because I'm classy as fuck.

I head into James' office. He's standing, and he appears to be searching the bookshelves for a certain read. He turns when he hears the door shut behind me and then turns back to the shelf, pulling out a book.

"This is for you," he says. He hands me a thick book and I read the title out loud.

"Financial Advice 101. What the hell is this?"

"Financial Advice 101."

"This is insulting."

"It's just so that-"

"I don't care. I am not reading this!" I shove the book back into his arms and storm out of his office. I'm done. I'm going back to sleep.

I go to my desk, packing up my things and heading for the elevator. As soon as I get in the elevator I see he is running after me. I start pressing the button. Please close please close please close.

The doors finally start to close but not before James turns his body to the side and slips into the elevator as if he thinks he is in a James Bond movie. Wrong James, dude.