10th April 1912

10th April 1912

It was absolutely magnificent. They weren't joking when they said it was "The ship of dreams." I looked around at all the other people waiting to board the RMS Titanic.

All around me people were smiling, laughing and hugging loved ones goodbye. I wasn't with anyone, I was alone, about to board a ship to escape a deadbeat town. The Southampton docks were as crowded as ever, the air filled with steam and a salty tang.

I made my way aboard the ship, carrying only my small black trunk that held all the necessary items I'd need.

After finally getting passed people who decided to walk slowly, I found my cabin, shared with three other women, but they seemed to not want to talk to one another, which was perfectly fine with me.

After settling in, I made my way to the top deck to see everyone waving goodbye. Even though there was no one there I knew, I joined in.

Titanic slowly made her way out of the docks and headed off towards Cherbourg, France.

I stood leaning over a rail on the Starboard side, staring down at the sea, which I never saw as often as I'd like.

"Careful love, you don't want to lean over the rail too far, you might fall," came a voice to my right.

I looked up and spotted a rather handsome man with dark hair and brown eyes.

"I'm always careful and I can look after myself, but thank you for your concern anyway," I said, trying to sound as polite as possible.

He raised his hands in mock surrender, "I never said you couldn't look after yourself, I was just telling you to be careful."

He had a small smile on his face that well and truly suited him.

"And I heard you; obviously I'm going to be careful. And even if I did fall over the railing and into the water, someone would have seen and I would be rescued."

"I like you, you've got a certain spark that you don't often see in people these days," He said, smirking.

"Is that so? Well then, it only makes sense for you to tell me your name," I replied, curiously.

"How about you tell me yours first, otherwise I'd have to keep calling you love."

I raised an eyebrow, a smirk forming on my own lips, "Fern. Fern Grayson."

"Well Fern," he said slowly. "My names Lorenzo, but most people usually call me Enzo," He said, lifting my left hand and placing a soft kiss there.

I blushed deeply, not taking my eyes off of his.

"Lorenzo," I said, loving the feel of his name on my lips, "Isn't that Italian?"

"My mother was Italian and my father was British."

"Was?" I asked, too quickly for my brain to comprehend.

"They died when I was young, I lived in an orphanage until I was old enough," he said, shrugging.

"Oh, I'm sorry, that was really insensitive of me," I said quickly, getting flustered again.

"It's was a long time ago, it doesn't really bother me like it used to," He stated, staring out at the horizon, the afternoon sun hitting his skin and making him look like a figment of my imagination.

"So, Fern, what are you running away from?" Enzo asked, looking up at me, his eyes so intense I had to look away.

"Who says I'm running away from something? Maybe I'm running towards something."

"Hmm, true, but no offence, you seem like the type of woman who looks anywhere for an escape, not for an adventure," he said, staring down at me.

"Wow, I'm like an open book, okay, yes I'm running away, but not for anything specific. I saved up some money and finally got my chance to get away, so I did. My whole life I've been stuck in the same house, the same town and with the same people. Not that it wasn't nice growing up, because it was, we weren't rich, but we had everything we needed. I just had to get out of there and away from the normal routine."

I stood there in shock, realising I had practically spilled my life story out to a stranger.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry, I don't know whe-" I started, but was cut off.

"Why are you apologising? I think the best person to spill your secrets to is a stranger," he smiled.

"Why?" I asked, completely confused.

"Because, who are they going to tell?"

"Their friends?" I suggested.

"Well yes, they could. But all that their friends are going to hear are secrets about a stranger, they won't know exactly who you are," He smiled again and I couldn't help but smile back.

"That was very intelligent," I said, looking out at the sea. "So, what about you?" I questioned, changing the subject, knowing I was blushing once again.

"What about me?"

"Are you running away from something or towards something?"

He cocked his head to one side and stared at me. "Let's go for a walk and I'll tell you," Enzo replied, holding his arm out for me to take.

I linked my arm through his, not even caring that we had only just met. I felt something with him, something I had never felt before. I couldn't identify what it was exactly, but I didn't mind.

"I'm searching for something."

"Are you going to elaborate?"

"Where's the fun in that?" He said, smirking.

"Come on, tell me what it is. Maybe I could help you look for it?"

"Maybe you can. But I'm not going to tell you what is yet, you'll have to wait and see."

"You like being mysterious, don't you?" I said, shaking my head while laughing quietly.

He nodded.

Just then a little girl ran passed screaming, "Mamma, look!"

Her mother hurried to catch up with her daughter to see her pointing at something in the distance.

Her mother laughed and picked her daughter up and kissed her on the forehead. "It's France sweetheart, we're stopping there for two hours and then going to Ireland."

"How long are we staying in Ireland for? I just want to go to New York," The little girl whined.

"Only for an hour and a half," Her mother replies before walking off to who I assumed was her husband.

I looked up at Enzo, only to see him already looking at me.

"I've got to go, I told my friend I'd meet up with him for a drink before we head off to dinner, your welcome to tag along," Enzo said, leaving me suddenly disappointed.

"Oh, thank you, but I don't drink," I admitted.

"Good," he replied quickly.

"Good?" I asked, feeling slightly offended.

"Drinking can get you in a whole lot of trouble, sometimes it's not worth it," He said, chuckling.

I smiled at him. "Maybe I'll see you around."

"I hope I see you around," he said, taking my hand and kissing it again.

I looked away, smiling and blushing.

"Bye Fern," he smiled.

"Bye Lorenzo," I replied, biting my lip to stop the grin threatening to take over my lips.

As soon as Enzo was out of sight, I headed to my cabin for a couple of hours and then prepared for dinner.

Once dinner was over and I had had a quick bath I went straight to bed, questions about the mysterious man I had met earlier, whirling around in my mind.