15th April 1912

15th April 1912

It was just after midnight.

"It will be okay Fern, I'm a vampire, so even if I do die, I'll come back to life. But you are going to get on a lifeboat and you are going to live," Enzo said, determinedly.

"Enzo, I'm a third class woman, they'll be putting first and second class women and children into the boats first. There might not be enough space for third class," I said, trying to reason with him.

"I'll compel them to let you on."

"Enzo no, I would feel guilty. That space could be used for a child, not someone who had gotten a space on a boat through mind control."

He stared at me for a second and then broke out into a smile.

"What?" I asked.

"That's one of the many qualities of yours that make you all the more loveable," he said, the smile still on his face.

I blushed a deep scarlet at the word loveable and bowed my head.

"Hey, don't look down, you're cute when you blush," Enzo said, lifting my chin with two fingers.

"You're too charming for your own good," I said, shaking my head.

By then they were getting women and children into the boats. Women were clinging to their partners for dear life, while children were crying, some too young to understand what was happening.

Enzo pulled me against his chest, so close I could hear his heart beating, while he pressed his face into the crook of my neck.

"Everything is going to be alright," he whispered.

Before I could reply he had picked me up, walked me over to a boat and placed me inside.

"She's not first class though is she?" A crewman demanded.

"You're going to let her on," Enzo compelled the man.

"Enzo, no, I won't leave you!" I cried.

"You have to, I need you to survive Fern, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you didn't."

"You're alright Hun," A woman next to me said, just as the boat was lowered.

I ignored her.

I stared at Enzo with wide eyes, unable to say anything else, his decision was final.

But what about my decision?

I knew, what I was about to do was the most selfish thing I'd ever done, but I still did it anyway.

I stepped across the boat and jumped onto the railing on the side of the ship, pulling myself over, not bothering to find out if Enzo had seen, I stumbled over my feet a few times before gaining my balance and taking off towards the stairs.

I rounded the corner and bumped straight into Enzo, who wrapped his arms tightly around me, almost suffocating me in a hug.

"Why would you do that? Fern I need you to live! Why would you do that?" He said loudly, trying not to shout and attract a crowd.

"I couldn't leave you! I refuse to! When this ship sinks, we go together," I said, breathing heavily.

He cupped my cheeks in his hands and pressed his lips to mine in a quick but passionate kiss.

"You're completely insane," he said breathlessly, "But I love that."

That was the second time he had used an L word. And again my cheeks reddened.