12th April 1912

12th April 1912

Confused. Bewildered. Baffled. Uncertain. Puzzled. Perplexed.

I think I will just go with confused.

I was completely and utterly confused.

I was naive as a child. I used to be scared of the dark, and when I was little I thought the monsters hid in the wardrobe and under the bed. I never looked around my dark room with my eyes open. The rule was: If you can't see it, it can't see you.

But I had my eyes open and I didn't see Enzo, but Enzo still saw me.

I don't know why he chose me, out of all the beautiful first class women he could have picked. He chose me.

The woman who didn't do as she was told, the one who got into trouble for talking back, the one who didn't spend money to change her appearance, the one who wasn't rich.

I didn't know that we were living amongst people who grew fangs and whose eyes changed. As far as I was aware, that was impossible.

But was it?

I had stayed up the entire night, thinking.

I laid on my bed, staring up at the bunk above me. I was alone. No one to talk to about it. I hadn't made any other friends. And yes, I considered Enzo a friend. Or more? There was definitely some sort of attraction.

I felt guilty, even though I didn't do anything wrong. It's just when I left his room, he looked so scared, like he was ashamed of himself.

We needed to talk and the only way to do that, was to find him. I wanted answers. I needed answers.

I climbed out of bed, changed clothes and ran a brush through my hair.

I walked along the corridors and made my way to the top deck, crossing my fingers for Enzo to be there.

I sighed in relief.

He was standing right the front of the ship, where the starboard and port sides met at a point.

I gathered my courage and walked right up to him.

"Enzo?" I said, standing five feet away from him.

He looked up so quickly, I was worried he almost broke his neck.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Fern? I'm so glad you're here," His mouth was breaking into a smile.

I had to look away.

"I'm here because I need answers. I'm in the dark, I just," I paused, thinking of the right words to use. "I don't understand what happened yesterday."

"I'll answer all your questions," He said with a determined look in his eyes.

I strode slowly over to the bench we had sat on the day before and plonked myself down on it. Enzo copying my actions.

"So, you're obviously not human, what are you?" I questioned, getting straight to the point.

"I'm a vampire," he said, staring into my eyes.

That didn't surprise me. I had gone over all the possibilities in my head during the night.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty Seven."

"How long have you been twenty seven?"

"Nine years. I was born in 1876 and I was turned in 1903."

"How?" I asked, tears prickling my eyes.

"How was I turned?" He asked.

I nodded in confirmation.

"I was dying of consumption. And I was on the edge of death when this woman, Lillian, gave me her blood to drink. I died with her blood in my system and when I woke up I had to feed on a human to complete the transition. She had disappeared, but sent this man, a doctor, who wasn't very good might I add, for me to feed on," When he finished speaking, I put my hand to my mouth to stifle a gasp.

He watched me carefully as I took my hand away.

"When you say feed, do you mean drinking blood?" I asked, feeling sick to my stomach.

He nodded, before bowing his head.

"And when you said you 'broke up a fight between two men' you really meant you had fed on someone?"

"Yes, but I compelled him to forget, he doesn't remember a thing."

That's where the blood came from.

"Have you ever compelled me?" I asked, my teeth clenched.

"No." He said, truth in his eyes. "But I did compel that man who hurt you to apologise."

"What about your 'friend'?"

"They don't exist, I made it up to get away because I was feeling hungry."

I nodded.

"Fern, you need to know, I would never hurt you. I wasn't lying when I said I like you. You're different. Please don't walk away from what we had," He said, with wide eyes.

He looked like a puppy being scolded.

"What did we have Enzo? We barely know each other."

"It feels like we've known each other for years, you can't deny that Fern. When I'm around you, I just feel like I could do anything from Jumping off a building to spitting fire," He laughed, and I couldn't help but smile.

"I don't want to walk away Enzo. I really like you, probably a lot more than I should considering we've only known each other for three days," I said, looking at my feet.

He put his index finger under my chin and and his thumb actually on my chin, below my bottom lip, and lifted my face towards him.

"Good, because I'm not walking away either," He smiled.

He took his hand away from my face and used both arms to pull me against his chest.

I was a little bit shorter than him so I placed my arms around his waist, hugging him back.

It felt nice. I felt protected, like nothing could ever hurt me.

"This is going to sound crazy, but do you want to move into my room, I mean, I know you have to share which I suppose is quite annoying. But," he paused, deep in thought. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you. And that may sound insane but it's the truth."

He knew I was a third class passenger and he didn't care.

Truth be told, it was kind of annoying having to share a room, not having my own space. I like my space.

"I would like that," I said, a small smile on my lips.

"It's settled then, come on, let's go get your stuff and move it into our room," he said, taking my hand.

Our room. I like the sound of that.