16th April 1912

16th April 1912

My eyes felt heavy. And I was cold and wet. I was also laying on my back on something that wasn't very comfortable. I smelt salt and sea.

I squinted my eyes and realised I was outside, staring up at the sky.

Something moved beside me and I looked over without turning my head to see Enzo staring at me in concern.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Cold," I replied.

"Here," He said, wrapping a blanket around my dripping wet body.

I was laying on jagged rock I realised as I sat up.

"Enzo, where are we?" I asked, my throat burning with every word.

"Maine. Well on the coastline at least," Enzo said, pulling me to my feet.

That's when I realised I heard waves crashing.

He looked warily at me.

"What's wrong?"

"Fern, you didn't wake up. I tried shaking you but I got no response. So I checked your pulse, your heart had stopped."

"Wait, are you saying I died?" I whispered.

He slowly nodded, "You froze to death."

"Now what?"

"Well now I have to get you some blood to complete the transition, don't worry, I'll get it in a cup for you so you don't have to drink straight from the vein yet."

"Enzo?"

"Yes love?"

"I'm scared."

He looked at me for a moment and must have seen the vulnerability in my eyes, as the next thing I knew was my face was pressed into the crook of his neck. His arms were wrapped tightly around me as he whispered that everything was going to be alright.

I believed him. Of course I believed him. He could tell me the sky is green, even if I was looking at a blue sky,  and I would believe every word.

We walked for a while, me shivering and chattering my teeth and Enzo practically holding me up.

We passed people who stared strangely at us, but in the state I was in I wasn't bothered by it.

We eventually found a hotel, which Enzo got us a room in by compulsion.
It was a cosy little room with a bed, a table and chairs and a fireplace.

"I'm going to go and get us some clothes and blood, alright, I won't be long."

He pulled a chair closer to the lit fire and gestured for me to sit. I did and when Enzo left I found my way to the window.

I watched as people went about their business, like it was an ordinary day. It probably was for them. They were lucky.

I had never been anywhere in America, and I now found myself in Maine. Not quite the original destination.

I sat back by the fire and rubbed my numb hands together trying to create the heat my body craved.

It was a while later when Enzo came back and I was forever grateful, I was sure I would have frozen to death again. Imagine that.

We changed clothes and I was already warming up. We hung our wet clothes on the back of the chair by the fire to dry off.

He handed me a cup with the thick red liquid in, whilst we were laying on the bed sideways, facing each other.

"Just hold your nose and down it. It never tastes right the first time you have it," Enzo told me.

I nodded before holding my nose, tilting my head back and gulping in the coppery blood.

I winced as it went down.

"That was disgusting," I said, my face screwed up.

"It won't be like from now on, you'll always crave it. It will be the only thing you'll think about really."

I felt empowered. I certainly wasn't cold anymore. I could see dust floating around, hear mumbled conversations and smell the blood on the rim of the cup.

"I'll teach you everything there is to being a vampire. I promise you won't go through any of this alone."

"Pinky promise?" I asked, holding up my pinky finger.

"Pinky promise," he said interlocking his finger with mine.

Just then I noticed one of the items Enzo had bought back, he had left it by the door.

"You bought a guitar?"

"Yeah, I learnt how to play when I was younger and I spotted it earlier and thought why not, and I thought I could play you a song," he smiled.

"I'd like that."

He hopped up and grabbed the instrument before settling back against the headboard of the bed.

"I had a dream the other night
About how we only get one life
Woke me up right after two
Stayed awake and stared at you
So I wouldn't lose my mind..."

When he finished singing my mouth was stretched into a wide grin, especially when he looked up nervously.

"So, how was it?" He asked.

"Absolutely beautiful," I said as I leaned over to kiss him, which he instantly reacted to by pushing the guitar away and pulling me towards him by my waist.

I was sat straddling his lap, which proved to be quite difficult in a dress. I pulled back and giggled as he stuck out his bottom lip.

"You never told me you could sing."

"You never asked," he replied cheekily.

"True. Enzo, can I ask you something?"

"Of course love."

"The day we met, you saw me staring at a little girl and her mother and you disappeared right after. Why is that?"

"I knew I couldn't give you that, I didn't think there was any point in getting to know someone, if I was only going to ruin their happiness by not being able to give them everything they deserved."

"But we still talked after?"

"I was conflicted, but then I thought that if I told you I was a vampire, you'd have the choice of being one or you could walk away. I would have given you the choice."

"If it makes you feel any better, I never wanted to have children."

"Really? I think you would have been a great mother."

I scrunched up my nose, "Childbirth scares me."

We laid down holding each other and that's when I realised I could hear Enzo's heartbeat if I concentrated hard enough, I smiled.

A/N I don't know if that made sense, I didn't proofread. Also I imagined the song (Something I need) as Ben Haenow's version rather than the original by One Republic :)