Chapter 11-15: Skeleton in the Cupboard

[- shhhhhhhhk...

"Woah!!! The rocky rock turned into sand! How weird! So weird!!"

That young adventurer opened her mouth once more, though it wasn't to respond to Pam's enthusiastic chirp.

This time, it was to give an answer to the gaping mage that's admittedly staring at her in disbelief at the moment.

"Serein-shi, how–?"]

.・。.・゜✫・.・✫・゜・。.

[The council valued secrecy a bit too much, that even if a single word was leaked, an entire family would go missing the next day.

There have been 7 recorded victims of this case, each one of them carelessly mentioning to either their friends or a teacher about the councils' appearances, their number, or even the topic that they've been called for.

Seven, in the course of centuries, might not be much. However, for the first Queen of the Amaranth Kingdom to risk many innocent people for the justice she's seeking– it's way too much of a sacrifice.

Rumors of their infamy reached even the dirty ghettos, that they have been dubbed as wise men went cuckoo...]

.・。.・゜✫・.・✫・゜・。.

["Traps~??"

Eyes sparkling in excitement, the young hatchling sounded thrilled instead of being scared despite how Serein clearly mentioned the possibility of them getting killed if they were to choose wrong.

Smiling a bit, careful not to ruin the youngest's mood, that adventurer simply nodded.

"Yes, traps. One that we cannot trigger at all cost, even if you're curious about it."

Serein nearly slapped her own face just to prevent herself from taking back her words just because she saw that Pam was pouting at her.

"Aww... no fun. We always miss out on the interesting stuff!"]

.・。.・゜✫・.・✫・゜・。.

[- click

Another faint tick floated towards the tense ears of the party. Slowly, those two pairs of eyes trailed under the wyrm's body.

Another click...

The feared sound rang even in their hearts, and to Serein's utmost dread, the tiles under her had sunk as well. She could almost hear the sound of her heart falling into the pits of her stomach.

"Don't mo–!"]

.・。.・゜✫・.・✫・゜・。.

["It doesn't mean what I think it is... right?"

Anxious due to the presentable clues, it was unfortunate that Serein could only deliver the truth by stating the obvious.

"It seems like it's asking for a sacrifice of some sort."

"A sacrifice!?"

Jumping in alarm, Pam looked rather pale before he began to freak out.]