Chapter 10 - 'Plan of Action'

^Archie's dramatic ass being that best friend who thinks their presence alone will solve all your problems 😂

~•~

MIKA • POV

Breakfast was unsurprisingly a theatrical performance I wanted to escape, and I'd imagined myself on a perfect, movie-style picnic with Ren the entire time as I sloshed scrambled eggs around my plate. The food - which always tasted delicious because Papa was the best cook in the world - tasted like nothing but bland rubber against my tongue. It was odd how negative emotions could ruin a perfectly good meal that way.

The dinner table was overcrowded, like it usually was with our huge family of ten pups and two parents. Papa seemed to be having a mental health crisis as he thrust Rumi's laptop in daddy's face, shaking the screen and yelling, as though Daddy hadn't heard the first five hundred bursts of outrage he'd been hurling. Daddy was scowling, but at least he'd had the self-awareness to admit hunting me down in his wolf form hadn't been the best idea - even if he had ultimately avoided apologising for hunting me down in the first place.

I'd been daddy's little clingy shadow since I was a baby. I loved my Papa to death, of course I did, but I'd always been lovingly infatuated with my daddy. There was something about his daunting size, his charming smile and the protective way he'd taken care of us all that had me hooked.

Everywhere he was, I needed to be, whether he was just going out to the shops or hard at work behind his desk in the alpha office. I was either sitting on his shoulders, cuddling in his arms or sitting and playing at his feet. Likewise, I'd fought hard with my nine other siblings to secure a spot at the dinner table right next to him for the past eighteen years. I'd won a literal sibling war for him. 

So, that morning, when I'd purposely pulled Kori out of his seat at the other end of the table and pushed him in daddy's direction, five chairs down, I didn't miss the flash of hurt on Daddy's face or the awkward glances of my siblings when I plopped down next to Papa, and Rosie instead.

"Yeah! I get to sit next to daddy! You can never sit next to him ever again!" Kori yelled happily, sitting on daddy's thighs rather than actually plopping down in the chair beside him. I'd simply rolled my eyes and gone back to poking my food. My table etiquette was shot to shit, my knees to my chest, the hood of my oversized woollen hoodie pulled low over my forehead, but I didn't care and neither did anyone else.

"We'll have to increase the number of enforcers out on patrol at any one time," Lumai interjected Papa's rant, ever the practising alpha. She'd already finished her meal and was typing rapidly on her own laptop, her keen hazel eyes hyper-concentrated. My gorgeous, oldest quintuplet sister looked just as deadly beautiful as always.

Her golden blonde curls were cut in a cool pixie style, her black ear and septum piercings matte against her tanned skin. She was tall and muscled, her body strong, her mind even stronger. Paired with Kuma and they were going to be the best successors this pack has ever seen.