Chapter 34 - Papa Wolf

THIRD PERSON • POV

Amari was panicked, there was no doubt about it. Adrenaline stole through him, making his blood feel as though it was on fire as it pumped through his body, leaving him panting and jittery. But despite the fear and anxiety of being under attack, his mind was locked into defensive Beta mode, fixated on protecting the pack with everything he had.

All his training, all his early mornings out on the fields with his enforcers and his children, had amounted to something and despite the terrifying circumstances, he was determined to put his teachings to use. No one was to get past him and his men. No one was to get close to the house where his pups were terrified and hiding, where the other submissives hid, unable to defend themselves, where the most vulnerable members of his family were barricaded in.

They were a large pack, with a decent amount of enforcers and dominant wolves willing to fight, however, the land was large and with absolutely no information about the attack, who was conducting it and how many wolves they'd brought to infiltrate the land, Amari knew they were stretched dangerously thin.

Their two best fighters, Luka and Lumai we're off the packlands, further leaving them in a disadvantaged position and Amari tried to fill the weakness in their defence with strategic logic.

His pack link was busy as his enforcers called out to one another, communicating in grunts and quick affirmative words, the way they'd been taught. They exchanged locations and counted incoming attackers, setting a very dire scene.

Surrounded.

They were surrounded from all sides and it seemed some damage had already been done. His daughter, Ari, was down, Toren was missing, there was a hole in their defence and there was no knowing how many wolves had already gotten in.

Amari cursed under his breath, trying to remain as calm as possible, knowing the others looked to him for leadership and guidance in Luka's absence. He sprinted as fast as he could through the forest, eventually meeting up with Tao who was in his wolf form, snarling off into the distance.

Tao's massive, maroon coloured wolf was poised and ready to attack and Amari dropped down beside him, rolling in the dirt. "The alpha's coming this way, I can sense him," Tao growled through their pack link, never looking away from his target in the distance.

"I need you to cover the main house," Amari answered lowly. "You're my second best, Tao. Ari's been hurt and Toren's gone missing. I think some of the wolves have already broken through. If that's the case, I need you back at the packhouse defending the vulnerable."

Tao cursed. "I can't leave you here alone with the alpha," he protested and Amari could feel the turmoil of his Head Enforcer and one of his closest friends. He didn't want to leave, but his mate and pup were back at the house. He desperately wanted to get to Caspian, torn between doing so and protecting his Luna.

"I can hold him off. Luka is on his way, and I'll get Kuma down here to cover me," Amari said urgently. They couldn't waste anymore time. "Please Tao. Quickly."

He snarled, the sound reverberating through Amari's chest like a jet engine. The massive wolf leapt up, rubbing himself against Amari's thighs and Amari patted his back, fingers running through coarse brown fur. "Be careful. Don't you dare get killed, Luka will have my head. Stay in touch."

"Will do. Don't die yourself." Amari agreed and Tao took off like a bullet, sprinting through the trees and back towards the packhouse.

"Kuma, meet me at the North Border," Amari demanded his alpha son through the packlink, before standing up straight and revealing himself to the enemy mere metres away. He recognised the Alpha wolf through his scent and size.