Chapter 15 ~ The Journey Begins

Nikolai sheathed his sword at his hip and slung a pack over his shoulder. He carried only a few changes of clothes, some spare provisions for the road, and his poetry journal.

Mischa and Yuri were handling his armor, which had been provided by the servant of Sir Arlov. Danitza was supposed to find at least two horses, one for him to ride, and the other to carry their belongings.

Nikolai ducked out of his bedroom and crept down the stairs, listening intently for his mother. Hopefully she'd left for the palace already, but there was a small chance that she was still at home.

At least Volya is gone, Nikolai thought. And he won't be riding with the rest of the Knights. No, his brother would be riding with the King, Queen, and General Nikita, as was the right of the Captain of the Guard.

Nikolai reached the front door without issue and reached for the latch. Someone cleared their throat behind him and he froze. "Where do you think you're going?" Maria asked. "And don't you dare lie to me again, Nikolai Yensev. I know you aren't going to Herodion."

Nikolai looked back over his shoulder. "How did you know I was lying?"

"You refused to look at me as you spoke." Maria came closer and rested a hand on his shoulder. "I know you well, my Son. What are you planning?"

"I'm going to make a difference in Nastasia's life while I still can. I've entered the tournament, posing as Alyosha Arlov."

"How are you going to make a difference? What will this solve? Do you know what will happen to you if you're discovered?"

"Yes, I'm aware," Nikolai snapped. Maria narrowed her eyes and he looked away. "I'm going to keep an eye on the other contestants. I know there will be men who view Nasi as a means to an end. I just want to make sure that those men don't make it to the final competition when we return to Nyctoli."

Maria sighed and shook her head. "I won't tell you how foolish I think this is. You already know. I suppose I can't prevent you from going without getting you and the real Sir Arlov into trouble. Just...be careful. Remember that Volya and Alyosha became guards around the same time. Your brother considers him a friend."

Nikolai met her gaze once more. Gently, Maria lifted a hand to his cheek. "And Sir Arlov does not have scars on his back. Scars that match your brother's."

"I know," Nikolai answered. "I'll be careful, Mother, and don't worry. I'm not going alone."

"You roped Mischa and Yuri into this?"

"A Mage as well, but it was their idea."

"What are they going to say when Volya asks why they've come? You know he will."

Nikolai rubbed the back of his neck with a grimace. "They've already come up with a story. They're going to claim that they wanted to make some extra money and I, or Sir Arlov, offered to pay them for their services. Their employers think they went back to Herodion for the summer and autumn harvests, like I initially told you."

Maria shook her head once more and pulled him into a tight embrace. "Be safe. I love you."

"I love you too. Will you..." He hesitated.

"Keep an eye on Nastasia?" Maria guessed. "If it proves necessary."

"What do you mean?"

"The two of you are even more alike than you think," she said, though it didn't answer his question. Maria nudged him towards the door. "Now go. You don't want to be late." Nikolai nodded and dashed out the door.