Chapter 45 ~ Wishes and Dreams

Nikolai swallowed, fighting the tightness that had grasped his throat. Every explanation he'd come up with on his way here had vanished, leaving him with nothing to say at all. Nastasia seemed equally tongue-tied. Her gaze swept him over from head to toe again and again, as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. And neither could he.

Nastasia's eyes were just as they had always been, silver and pupil-less, illuminated by the face of the moon. There wasn't a sliver of icy blue in them. How had he been fooled by such a simple disguise for so long? Why hadn't he gone to her when he realized who she was in the first place? Would she ever forgive him for lying to her? Goddess above, what could he say now?

He tried to find his voice again, but only silence greeted him. There was so much to say, yet nothing at all. And it didn't help that all he wanted to do now was reacquaint himself with the touch of her lips. That would certainly be the wrong move to make at this moment.

At last, it was Alexei who broke the silence. "You've caused quite the stir, Nik." Nikolai managed a smile and returned the young Prince's embrace. "Andrey reminds us all daily that he never liked you and you were always a troublemaker."

"Andrey's flattery is as touching as ever," Nikolai chuckled.

Alexei grinned before turning to Nastasia. "Write me a letter and leave it here. I'll be back for it later. I have to go now before Mother and Father come looking for me."

"All right, but was there something else you needed?" Nastasia asked.

Alexei arched a brow. "No, why?"

"I just wondered if you were originally coming in here to get something."

Alexei flashed a lopsided smile and skipped back towards the door. "Your room has become a good place to escape from my professors. And maybe I missed you a little bit."

Nastasia shook her head with a faint laugh and the door closed softly behind Alexei. Neither of them spoke until his footsteps faded from earshot. "I..." Nikolai hesitated, averting his gaze. "I'm sorry I lied to you. I could give you dozens of excuses, but I won't."

"You don't need to apologize. You didn't lie to hurt me. I know you just didn't want me to worry, and I suppose it was safer for you. Besides, I didn't tell you what I was planning either."

"Did you know it was me all along?"

Nastasia shook her pale head, drawing Nikolai's gaze to her hair. It hung just to her collarbone, shorter than he'd ever seen it before. Nastasia ducked her head and began to tug on a lock of hair. "It was shorter before," she said. "The Mage who glamoured my eyes cut it before we left for the tournament. I've been meaning to trim it again."

Nikolai approached slowly until he stood in front of her. Nastasia didn't protest when he slipped his fingers beneath her chin and lifted her gaze back to his. Gently, he smoothed the hair she'd been toying with back from her brow. "I like it."

"When did you realize I was the Silent Knight?" Nastasia asked quietly.

"I suspected soon after I found out the Silent Knight was a woman, but I didn't truly know until you gave me that letter in Jalil."

"Why the letter?"

Nikolai smiled. "The way you wrote the N in your name. You disguised your handwriting well, but that was an obvious giveaway."

"Oops," Nastasia snickered. "I suppose it's good that I didn't write many letters then."

"I suppose so. Now it's your turn. When did you figure out that I was posing as Sir Arlov?"