Chapter 31 ~ New Suspicions

"Damn, Nik. You look like shit," Yuri chuckled, pushing Nikolai into the tent where Mischa and Danitza were already waiting. He grimaced and nudged him further away. "You smell like shit too."

    "At least you aren't bleeding this time," Mischa said.

    "Yeah, some small comfort," Nikolai huffed. "Please tell me there's somewhere I can take a bath."

    Yuri lifted a bucket of water. "I can dump this on you."

    "That won't be necessary." Danitza rose and approached Nikolai.

    The dozens of runes upon her arms began to glow as she closed her eyes and chanted under her breath. She stretched a hand over Nikolai's head and warmth cascaded through him, cleansing every inch of his body, though nothing fell upon his skin.

    When Danitza lowered her hand, there wasn't a speck left on him. Nikolai raked his fingers through his own hair, the glamour of Sir Arlov having faded, and felt his curls. They were soft and wound taut, as though he'd just washed his hair. "Thanks. That feels better."

    "Mmhm. Now, tell us what happened."

    Nikolai dropped onto his bedroll and began to recount the events of the challenge, leaving out only one detail. He didn't mention that the Silent Knight was female. He was planning to discuss that with Danitza in private, and share what he learned with Yuri and Mischa when necessary. Yuri was the first to speak when he finished his report.

    "You want us to keep an eye out for Volya and let you know when he's back?" He asked.

    Nikolai nodded. "It's not that I'm worried about him. I just..."

    "You are worried," Mischa interrupted. "And there's nothing wrong with that."

    Yuri nodded his agreement. "Volya might be an asshole, but he's still your brother and you care about him. Maybe not like you used to, but you still do."

    "That and I don't want to have to tell my mother that he's dead," Nikolai sighed.

    "You won't have to. Volya is smart."

    "Speaking of your mother..." Danitza bent over him, a slip of paper dangling between her fingers.

    Nikolai sat up and snatched it from her. He opened the letter hastily and skimmed over the contents. Dread washed through him with every word. "What is it?" Yuri prompted.

    "I asked my mother if Alexei was missing, since we'd thought there was a possibility that he was the Silent Knight."

    "And?"

    Nikolai read the words again, his breaths quickening. "Alexei isn't missing, but Nastasia is."

    "What?" Mischa and Yuri's exclamations overlapped. Yuri jostled past Mischa and twisted behind Nikolai. He raised the letter so Yuri could read it for himself.

    "How long has she been missing?" Danitza asked.

    "A few days after the tournament began. Mother says people speculate she and I ran off together, since we both left around the same time. There are guards searching for us all over Nyctoli, and the King and Queen have already been alerted."

    Nikolai let Yuri take the letter and raked his fingers through his hair. "For the love of the Saints," he breathed. "What the hell is she doing? Do you think she figured out that I...lied to her? Could she have gone to Herodion to look for me?"

    "Perhaps," Danitza replied. "Or perhaps this has nothing to do with you at all. Maybe the Princess is attempting to save herself from the fate she's been forced into."