Chapter 32 ~ Conspiracies

Much to her dismay, Nastasia was roped into attending the morning banquet with Josephine and Elise. It was a struggle to keep her eyes open while they made their rounds through the banquet hall, making sure to steer clear of Gavriil, Serafima, and their attendants.

Josephine kept a tight hold on Nastasia's arm as they walked. That grip was the only thing keeping her upright. It seemed her lingering aches had multiplied during the night. Every step Nastasia took left her legs shaking.

She'd been walking on jelly since crawling out of Lake Pontus. Though, judging by the faltering steps of the Knights around her, she wasn't the only one worn out by hours of swimming.

Nastasia forced herself to stand taller as they approached yet another Knight. She recognized him as Sir Edmund Gareth, an Eldon. He was accompanied by another young man. "That's the aide Yuri was with yesterday," Josephine whispered, leaning closer to Nastasia.

Nastasia looked at the man again with newfound curiosity. He was handsome, with sharp features whose harshness was dulled by the warmth of his smile and the brightness in his hickory eyes. His freckles stood out to her significantly.

She'd always found such features beautiful, and was often envious that no matter how long she lingered in the sun, even on the hottest of days, not a single spot would appear on her practically colorless skin. Nikolai and Alexei had always told her to just be grateful that she'd never experienced a sunburn.

Nastasia drew her attention away from the aide as Sir Gareth approached them, flashing a brilliant grin to Josephine in particular. "Greetings, Ladies."

"Good morning, Sir," Josephine answered. "Are you well rested after yesterday's challenge?"

Nastasia's gaze swept over Sir Gareth while Josephine kept him occupied with conversation. He was one of the Knights they hadn't been around as much. What she'd seen of him from a distance told her that he was used to the attentions of women, and was almost too comfortable conversing with them.

Of course, when one looked like a Knight straight out of a fairytale, she supposed it wasn't difficult to catch a woman's attention. Sir Gareth wasn't quite as tall as his aide, though he was just as lean and muscular.

His features held a classic beauty rarely lacking in Eldons, with high cheekbones and a long, narrow nose, perfectly bowed lips, and a square jaw. His wide set eyes were a deep shade of olive green and his hair, the color of umber, held a slight curl.

"And I don't believe I've been introduced to this young lady," Sir Gareth said, his gaze landing on Nastasia. "I gather by her appearance that she is your Lady-in-Waiting, Lady Dahl?"

"Indeed, Sir." Josephine's grip tightened on her arm. "I'm afraid she's rather shy, so don't expect to hear much from her. She prefers watching and listening."

"I see. May I at least have your name?" Sir Gareth's attention lingered on her. It was an effort not to shrink from that curious stare.

Nastasia bit her lip beneath her scarf, then bowed her head. "Nasi, Sir," she murmured.

"That's an unusual name," the Knight chuckled. "I like it. This is my own aide, Daryn Yale." He gestured to the man at his side. "May I entrust him to your quiet observation, Miss Nasi, while I accompany Lady Dahl and her friend to breakfast? He has a tendency to wander off when left on his own." Sir Gareth tossed Daryn a wry grin.

Nastasia nodded, sinking into a curtsy. Sir Gareth offered Josephine his arm, which she took. Elise shot Nastasia a confused look but didn't protest when Josephine beckoned for her to follow. Nastasia lingered with Daryn, unsure of what to do or say next.