xvi. journey to the tomb

"God, what does he eat?"

The words barely groaned out of Nina's mouth as the bodied heaviness of the former avatar seem to bring a deal of muscle compression to the woman.

"We have to hurry", Layla unintentionally ignored the florist's words as her scrawny fingers grabbed onto the hem of an unconscious Steven Grant's jacket. The darkened night-sky howled with a chilled wind and the sands ensued its tone of contacted sizzle, as the duo pulled the man backward and onto the direction of their transport.

It was only a matter of seconds before there flashed the headlights of a nearby jeep, its rumbling tires only getting closer by each fleeting moment. Both the women's heads had snapped towards the visual before them, then towards each other. And without wasting any more seconds, they hauled half of the poor man's shirt in an attempt of a better grip and quick escape.

The sands were now bombarded with the pitched crackles of the bullets from the trucked machine gun striking it. A hurried yelp screeched out of Nina's mouth by the sudden smoke of gunned air swooshing upwards, as she tried to push both Layla and Steven so that they could tumble down fast and away from the bullets. Her work was deemed successful because in no mere time they had started their faltered tumble to the down of the dune.

Groaning coherently, Layla didn't move for a hot second as she reached the bottom flat of the dune. Blinking away the sudden dizziness and sputtering away the mouth full of sand, the curly-haired woman tried to regain her grip on her own body as she put her hands in a plank position. She would not be doing that again, she would never be doing that again.

A sudden grip soon clasped its way around her wrist, which only caused the woman to stumble in her wobbly arms.

"Come on!" Nina helped Layla up as she practically hauled the black tanked woman towards the direction unknowingly supporting and pulling half of her weight, only making Layla gasp here and there in the fear of falling due to no bodily control.

The florist yanked the door open and gently lead the woman inside the jeep's back before turning around in the hopes of getting to Steven. An abrupt yelp boomed out of Nina's mouth as she felt a bunched hand pull the hem of her collar downwards and towards the floor of the jeep, only leading for the florist to fall upon Layla. A synched 'hmph' escaped both the women's mouths by the jolty contact but the one on the top was fast enough to straighten herself in a rather proximate planked position so that she wouldn't crush the other with their weight, and the said other had their hands grasped onto the curves of the faller's waist. A bunched heaving escaped their lungs.

There lingered the halted gaze of both the women, as their pair of eyes gleamed into the others, feeling a sense of tingle flutter their middles from the heated proximity of their bodies and the sheer nearness of each of their heaving mouths and chests.

"Hi" Nina merely rasped out before pushing herself off of Layla and laying groaningly next to her. The jeep which was rounding Steven now seemed to be rounding them, as the lights flickered and beamed through the right and left windows of their very own jeep, only making the panic in both the women worsen.