vi. friends?

"Here

"Here."

An awkward Marc mumbled as he fluffed the fortress of blankets and pillows he had made from the remnants of Randall's and his old blankets and bedspreads which were stowed in the basement, alongside some food. He bit his lips into a thin lined smile, patting both his palms against the side of his thighs as he got up from his bending position and expectantly looked at the now-dried short red-haired girl who had just saved him an hour ago or so.

The young girl sniffled a little, rubbing the tip of her nose from the fabric of the sweater, that the boy, whose name she was unaware o,f had offered to her to change into, seeing that her navy-blue ward dress was drenched from the heavy rain outside.

He seemed sweet and genuinely concerned when he had asked her what she was doing out in such a rain, that too in a dark alley. When she hadn't answered, Marc just asked her to follow him seeing that the downpour was only getting worse and staying there would get either of them sick.

Marc biked himself and the strange girl back to his house, mentally scolding himself for getting off the goddamn thing in the first place, and that too blindly believing Billy. After reaching, he only shoved the said bike in his basement and placed his old sweater and pant, which was lying amongst the lump of many of his old clothes, on the red-haired girl's hands, instructing her to not come upstairs and to wait for him down there. It was only half past twelve when he sneaked back down, knowing that his parents, mostly his mom, would've been knocked out from intoxication.

He brought down some leftovers and stashes of his own snacks so that his mom wouldn't be suspicious, and he arranged a bed of her own in the spacy wardrobe which was stuck to the greyed walls of the vast room.

"Uhm, you can stay here for the night." He scratched the back of his head, feeling rather shy and a hell lot awkward, as he didn't know what exactly to speak to her. Ever since the whole school had found out about Randall, there remained annoying pity eyes everywhere, from both teachers and classmates. And when his peers did try talking to him, there always seemed to linger this small voice at the back of his head which always told him that he didn't deserve to have friends. He didn't deserve their kindness or their help. He was the reason that his little Roro was dead, and he was reminded of that every day. And if it wasn't the voice, it was his own being that cocooned him in a closed shell, knowing that it was the best, not just for himself, but for everyone around him.

The Morton girl just blinked at him for that; The rain still pattered against the walls, as thin fog painted the windows nearby. And amidst the silence of the two, the pattering was the loudest thing that could be heard. Marc wanted to ask her a lot of things, both out of curiosity and from common manners. But for a fact, he knew that she was as much of a talker as himself. He had tried asking her, where she was from, or what she was doing there when he was pedaling through the streets, but all he was answered with was sheer silence. He then decided that he didn't care. For the sake of both of them, she had to leave the next morning, so there was no use to it whatsoever. The boy let out a large breath then, exhaustion and this unknown feeling mixed up with it.