xviii. heartbreak season

If anyone would've told Nina Morton that she was going to get her first ever heart-break from the love of her life in middle of a long tunnel that leads to a magical stone which has an Egyptian god stuck in it

If anyone would've told Nina Morton that she was going to get her first ever heart-break from the love of her life in middle of a long tunnel that leads to a magical stone which has an Egyptian god stuck in it. And the said magical stone is being hunted by a manic hermit, who with his cult believe that man slaughtering of people who are yet to do harm would bring balance in the world. She would've laughed at your face and sprayed her hose at you or would probably make Caesar chase you.

But here we are.

The cracks in Nina's heart now shattered into billions of tiny pieces. The woman scoffed with a solemn nod, as with a pair of tears flowing through her eyes, she looked to the side. She decided to turn around, not wanting to be anywhere near the man who had unconsciously promised a life filled with tremendous happiness together, the man who had brightened her life by filling it with unconditional love and adulation. And the man who had just an hour later had lied about agreeing to a fucking date.

But before she could as much as face his back to him, he stopped her with a hold on her wrist, "I wasn't done, Nina."

"Well, I am!" the woman spat, although her tone was now a wobbly masterpiece. She tried to wiggle her hand away from him, but in the process, he seemed to have caught her other arm too.

"We watched you die." He started, "We watched the life slowly leave your body Nina and there was nothing we could do about it. But the worst part was that I couldn't hold, touch, or love you even if it were for the last time. All I could do was stare at your paling skin from the broken shards of mirror nearby. And when Khonshu saved you, although we were so bloody relieved...this whole ordeal...and even Marc made me realize of how you'd be better off without us."

Nina looked anywhere but at him. All the words that now escaped his mouth, seemed to be that sheer lies. Her chin hurt from the way it seemed to wobble and her eyelids hurt trying to keep in the tears. Much to the woman's surprise, she felt two hands cup her face and turn it up gently, his voice the softest and purest there ever was,

"But as much as Marc hates it, he's wrong. Wrong in thinking that I could ever get myself anywhere away from you, wrong in thinking I could ever live without you. I would down-right perish if you aren't by my side Nina Morton. You're the light in my life. You're like the sun's ethereal glow to the moon. And I know there's a mad million reasons why we'll be doomed if we ever are together, I know that. But I'm tired of it. I'm tired of every single one of them. We've all got to make a choice. Right? Well, I choose you. And that's something, Marc has to deal with."

Unable to stop the tears any longer, the woman closed her eyes with a relieved and happy laugh, and without wasting any more further seconds, she buried her face to the middle of his comforting chest, letting her stray tears taint the whites of his shirt.

Fisting the fabric of the chested region of the said shirt, the woman's voice muffled to his chest, "You could've phrased that better."

"Sorry, dove." Steven's chest vibrated with his hearty chuckles, peppering the top of her head with kisses he stated, "I love you."