Friends with benefits

"Will? Will are you in there?" Max called from outside the boys bathroom. She probably should've been a good friend and gone into the bathroom to comfort him but last time she was in there she almost died because of the horrific smell. And she was definitely not going to risk it this time.

"I'm here" Will sniffled.

"Do you wanna come out so we can talk? I'm sure it'll be easier if the whole place doesn't smell like shit" Max said trying to comfort him.

Will's sniffles echoed as he walked out of the bathroom. Max's face dropped into a sad frown  when she saw Will's face. His eyes were letting loose droplets escape and his cheeks were red and puffy. Max felt her stomach twist into a knot. If only Will could know what he was getting into, what would lie ahead of him. Max wanted to tell Will everything, about Mike's plan for him. But she couldn't, she couldn't risk it. Even if Will was her friend, she still had to worry about herself more than him.

"Why would he do that?" Will said as he rubbed his eyes.

"Mike is unexpected like that, i'm sorry he did that to you..." Max grabbed his shoulder and massaged it softly.

"It doesn't matter, it's not like it's a big deal or anything" Will said. There he went hiding his feelings again, he was so close to throwing up and his stomach still felt like snakes were eating it out. The worst part was that Will still had to see Mike in chemistry.

"If you don't think it's a big deal then I'm fine with it too" Max gave him a small smile. She tried not to look too feverish but she was sweating... a lot. The guilt made her sick, Max always talked about her friends like they were monsters. But in the end she was no better than them.

Will quickly wiped his remaining tears as he heard the faint sounds of the lunch bell. Max gave him a big hug which Will didn't mind too much before she left for Math. Leaving Will to walk himself to Chemistry.

"Good afternoon Byers! How was lunch?" His enthusiastic teacher asked him as he walked through the door.

"Good" Will said quickly as he made his way to his seat. Mike wasn't there yet which gave Will enough time to prep himself, and get organized for class. He was just going to do what he should've done on day 1 "study and ignore". Seemed easy enough.

Sooner or later Mike came storming into the room late as usual. But Will could tell something was different. Mike was looking straight at him the entire time. After a couple seconds of eye contact, Will broke it off. "Study and ignore" he replayed in his mind.

"Hey" Mike said as he sat down.

Will didn't respond. Instead he turned his face so Mike wouldn't be anywhere near his peripheral vision.

"I said hey..."Mike said again trying to get Wills's attention.

Again he said nothing. Will did feel a little guilty after a couple seconds, but then quickly told himself to quit it because he was being too nice.

"Not talking? alright 2 can play that game."
Mike sighed as he turned his body to the front of the desk to pay attention to the teacher. Will did so the same.

"Welcome to again to Chemistry, yesterday you had a pass since it was the first day. Today, you guys better get ready because we are going to have a long day!!" The teacher said. Will had never seen someone so happy about what they teach. Sure he liked chemistry but he wasn't static about it, especially the work load the teachers always gave out.