Chapter 9: Echo Fleet

Date: July 21st, 1943

Location: Newport Naval Base CA

Time: 10:07 am

A boy yawns as he opens his eyes to the sight of an over head light. He then takes in his surroundings as he sits up. He is in what appears to be a small medical room of a hospital or infirmary and is currently sitting up on a hospital bed. To his right on the wall a screen displays his vitals as well as some other information. He continues to study the screen until he comes across a section reading "Patient: (Subject HK-1) U-3008". As soon as he reads U-3008 a flood of images and memories flood his head. The boy recoils in pain and places his head in his hands.

He views as parts of a submarine hull are placed together and as many construction workers work tirelessly to build the latest ship designed to wreck havoc on enemy convoys. He then watches the U-boat put to sea after its construction was complete. The numbers 3008 painted onto the bow and conning tower of the U-boat. The Kreigsmarine flag flying proud in the wind as the submarine heads out on its first patrol. Soon he watches as the U-boat returns to port and is handed to the Americans after the surrender of Germany. Confused the boy continues to watch as the U-boat now waves an American flag as it serves in several exercises and tests. A few years flash through his mind until finally the boy watches the fate of U-3008. The submarine is sunk in one final exercise before being refloated and then sold for scrape.

As the images and memories stop overwhelming him, the boy looks up to see his reflection in a mirror hanging on the wall. Blue eyes stare back at him in the mirror. He then notices his short cut lightish red hair. In the mirrors reflection the he sees he's wearing a wet suit with an unbuttoned kriegsmarine U-boat commander's jacket draped over his shoulders. However where there should be german rankings and pins there are US navy rankings and pins. Only the iron cross that hangs from his neck remains. Looking over to the desk near the hospital bed the boy finds an officers cap that goes with his jacket.

"What am I?" The boy asks himself.

"You are now a male kansen, one of the first of your kind."

The boy turns to see a man in an officers uniform standing in the door way to his room.

"Good morning James, you look a lot different from when I last saw you."

"My name is James?" The boy asks aloud.

A medical assistant comes behind the officer.

"Sir the patients have suffered major memory lost. I doubt they'll remember much from their past lives."

"So basically they're like a blank slate?" The officer asks.

"Sort of, from what we've gathered, they should have memories relating to their ships history." The medical assistant replies.

"Well then, it's probably for the best if we call him by his new name."

The officer then turns back towards the boy.

"U-3008 I am Commander Evan Goodwill, commander of the Newport naval base. You are an Eagle Union submarine. Please follow me."

U-3008 climbs off the bed and puts on his officer's cap before following Evan. A group of scientists and soldiers also accompany them as they make their way to the dry dock piers. Upon arriving at the piers the group leads U-3008 to an empty slot.

"3008 please summon your ship into this dry dock." A scientist asks politely.

"How do I do that?" 3008 asks.

"Try to image that your placing your ship into the dock."

U-3008 does as the kind scientist suggests but for a few moments nothing happens. Then suddenly cubes appear and quickly begin to form into U-3008's U-boat. As soon as the ship lands in the dry dock large clamps emerge to secure the submarine.