29. Late night visit

●●●

●●●

Wanted posters decored the dull walls of the leaky cauldron. An erratic image of Sirius Black whose dark eyes pierced into her own each time she dazed off from cleaning tables. Haunting her like a poltergeist ghost. She tried to reframe from staring but once the news of the first-ever breakout from Azkaban, Sirius black's face was plastered all over the wizarding papers and muggle news outlets. It was impossible to not hear a wizard or witch ( or goblin) talk about it in the leaky cauldron.

" Have they tracked him down yet?"

" No. Who knows if he will ever be captured."

Amelia read that Sirius Black is responsible for the deaths of thirteen people. Which who he killed all with just one curse. One of the most notorious crimes to be documented in wizardry history. And it sent chills down her spine that he is free and has yet to be spotted since his escape. Though Amelia wasn't the only one living in fear. Many shops have decided to close earlier than usual as the number of customers dwindled once the clock hits six.

But the leaky cauldron stayed open. According to Tom, the leaky cauldron has never closed for any reason. Even when the first wizarding war came around the place stayed open. A historical fact Amelia didn't know.

But with the summer air came the night rush as many wizards and witches sought an evening drink after hours of working and wanting to forget the fear that lingered with a murder on the loose.

Amelia stayed in the kitchen. Only being allowed to wash dishes, mop floors, and wipe down tables. Tom told her to not go near the bar or the main kitchen area. Just to stick near the sink and their cleaning supply closet. She of course didn't complain. Most times business was slow and Amelia would hang out near one of the tables and read about magic in ancient Egypt. Occasionally, she would read the Daily Prophet to keep up with news of Sirius Black. But sometimes Amelia's life throws her surprises and seeing a black and white picture of her family was one thing she didn't expect.

Author Weasley, Head of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office at the Ministry of Magic, has won the annual Daily Prophet Grand Prize Galleon Draw. A delighted Mr. Weasley told the Daily Prophet, "We will be spending the gold on a summer holiday in Egypt, where our eldest son, Bill, works as a curse breaker for Gringotts Wizarding Bank." The Weasley family will be spending a month in Egypt, returning for the start of the new school year at Hogwarts, which six of the Weasly children currently attend.

Amelia crumpled the newspaper and threw it off in the distance, knowing Tom will have her pick it up later. A meaningless laugh escaped Amelia as she stared down at her book. She thought it was fascinating that her brother Bill, was in Egypt working alongside other amazing wizards practicing difficult magic. It motivated her to find a job that allowed her to travel so she could finally leave England and be far away from the Burrow. How strange plans change. She is far away from the Burrow, which now is empty of the people she despises, and yet she is sitting alone in Diagon Alley while her family enjoys a holiday vacation. It would have been a first for Amelia, the farthest she has traveled was when she got onto the train for Hogwarts. She has never been outside of the country. Her family couldn't afford it. But now they seemed to have saved money because of her absence. And enjoy their vacation without her presence. Amelia assumed she would have never been invited in the first place. But yet, it hurt all the same.