31. Dementors

●●●

●●●

Amelia glared at the sunlight that touched her skin for waking her up. The majority of her night consisted of walking around the muggle streets like a stray cat. She ignored any person that tried to come in her direction and stayed away from late-night partygoers ( though who would get drunk on a Wednesday night). But Amelia couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was watching her. Eventually, she found a bench, one close to the king's cross station, and made a make-shift bed with a knit sweater as a pillow and a coat for a blanket. Her back ached as she began her short journey to platforms nine and ten. Time become of the essence, unaware if she arrived early or completely missed the train.

The large clock that hung on the wall, hovering over all those who pass through, calmed Amelia's nervousness when her eyes saw that it was only nine-thirty am. Her truck dragged behind her. Thankfully the station was not packed like usual and Amelia could walk into platforms nine and ten without muggles looking her away as the sound of her trunk scrapped the ground.

The Hogwarts express stood in all its glory, like a getaway car ready to take the Weasley away from all her troubles. It was still busy, even at its early hour, as many families hugged and kissed their kids goodbye. Others talked with parents, getting to know the people behind the child their kid befriended. Smiles filled their faces, while some first years wore enthusiastic expressions as they looked at the train with dazzling eyes.

A little green monster sprouted in Amelia's chest as children stood by their parents without fear or caution. Something she has forgotten all about. Memories of her first year were blotchy as she tried to recollect how her mother made her breakfast with glee some time ago, how she once shared full conversations with Ron, and how teasing Percy alongside Fred and George was the norm. Those moments are forever trapped as inconsolable memories now that her relationship with her family lies in a grave.

Amelia swallowed the lump in her throat and made her way to the train. She passed compartments until she settled into the one that was surrounded by other third years. Looking out the window, floods of people began to crowd the station. Her leg bounced impatiently waiting for the two people that brought her the joy she craves. Several students walked past, a couple opening the compartment door and quickly apologizing. She leaned against the window, blowing away flyaway hairs that itched her eyes.

For a little while, the chattering of students filled the silence. The door of her compartment opened once more though this time the shout of her name rooted her back into reality.

" Care to explain why you are here so early" Justin captured the girl into a bone-crushing hug before he took a seat beside her. Ernie walked behind him, ruffling the girl's hair until it pointed in many different directions.

" Did you have to ruin my hair?" Amelia asked patting down her head.

" That's for making us wait for you. We assumed you forgot what today was and so we panicked and went looking for you in case you were already on the express." Ernie sat across from Amelia. The worry went from his face but he noted how unusual it was for her to have gotten on the train rather early.