32. The Mastermind Comes Knocking

Over the next few weeks I learned one thing: the best plans are those that can be endlessly repeated and work every single time.

Every. Single. Darn. Time.

"You know," I stated, scrutinizing the pile of bottles, chests, and other presents that various captains of merchant ships had presented us with during the last few days, "if I didn't know better, I would say you're a very lucky birthday boy instead of a pirate."

"Enough talking." Placing a hand on his weapon's hilt, Mr Ambrose stepped towards the railing. "The latest ship is approaching. Prepare yourself."

I glanced up and saw another merchant ship in the distance, the captain waiting on the deck with something colourful and fancy in his hands.

"For another gift bag, you mean?"

"Indeed."

"Oh, how terrible! The life of a pirate is truly filled with nothing but blood and violence. It's abominable."

"Indeed."

The days passed, and as they did, the hoard of Captain Rockface grew and grew. As did his horde, incidentally. Word of the new king of pirates seemed to have swiftly spread across the Caribbean, because within a week or two of starting his raiding spree, hundreds of thugs, ruffians and other men who weren't very fond of the pesky annoyance called "the law" began to bolster the numbers of his crew. Or rather, crews. Long since had the time passed when only a ship or two would be sent out at a time. No, whole fleets were now roaming the sea simultaneously, only some of them commanded by Mr Rikkard Ambrose himself. Regardless, every single one of them returned successfully.

"You know..." I cocked my head to peek over his shoulder, at where he was currently running his fingers lovingly over the ginormous mountain of gold piled up in front of him, "is it just me, or are you enjoying this pirate thing a little too much?"

Straightening, he pulled back his fingers and sent me a cool look. "I have no idea what you mean, Mr Linton."

"I'm sure you don't."

"I am merely taking the appropriate steps to counter my nefarious competitors."

"Your hands are stroking the gold again."

"Ehem." Clearing his throat, he quickly tucked his hands back and straightened. "I must go. I have business to take care of."

"And would that business involve sailing over the seven seas while stealing treasure and shouting 'Har, har, har'?"

The fact he didn't answer that and instead strode out of our treasure cave at his fastest possible speed amused me to no end. I couldn't help but watch him lovingly as he marched down to the shore in full pirate-captain mode, ready to welcome the crew of a ship that was just returning to the island, most likely laden with treasure.

There was an actual spring in his step.

Goodness. He was really enjoying this, wasn't he?

Well, Lilly, he's currently making ridiculous amounts of money, while at the same time putting down his competitors, all without having to invest a single penny. So, what do you think?

Yep. He was definitely enjoying this.

I nodded happily. He was always so stiff and stressed. It was about time he got a hobby. Granted, I had maybe hoped for golf or fishing, not plundering the Caribbean with a sabre in hand...but I simply couldn't begrudge him his fun. It would be nice to watch Captain Rockface enjoy himself for a little. And why not? After all, there was no way anyone could believe that distinguished British businessman Rikkard Ambrose would ever steal money, right? Inconceivable!