44. Lilly the Loathsome Chauvinist

I had to admit, I had completely underestimated Karim's effectiveness. When we stepped out of the warehouse, we came to a halt, our path blocked by moaning mountains of prone pirates.

"C-Captain!" One of the men on the ground forced himself up onto his knees with one hand, using the other to stem the flow of blood from his nose. "Captain Rockface, get out of here! There's a maniac running around attacking everyone! He—"

That was when Mr Ambrose stepped aside, revealing the towering form of Karim behind him.

"Gaaah! HelpNoMercyPleaseDon'tKillMe!"

Mr Ambrose shook his head. "You truly disappoint me."

The man blinked. "D-disappoint you?"

"Indeed. You can't even pass a simple test like this."

"T-test?"

"Naturally," he said with a shamelessness I truly had to admire. And learn from. "I hired Mr Karim here—" He clapped the massive bodyguard on the shoulder. "—to test out your response to sudden attacks and emergency situations." His eyes frosted over. "Needless to say you failed miserably."

"I—I'm s-sorry, Captain!" The man clambered to his feet, bowing in apology. "I'm so sorry! Any punishment you'll decide on, we'll—"

"Oh, you aren't going to be punished," Mr Ambrose cut him off.

The pirate blinked. "I'm not?"

"No. You're going to be improved." He pointed at Karim. "Say hello to your new first mate."

Then he strode away, ignoring the pirate who let out an agonised wail.

"Well, well." Grinning, I clapped Karim on the back. "Seems like you've found the pirates you were looking for after all."

"Indeed, Sahiba." Eyes glittering darkly, Karim gave the whimpering pirate an intense look and cracked his knuckles. "How fortunate. I'm quite looking forward to spending time with them over the next few days."

"Go ahead. Have fun." And, patting him on the back, I strolled off after my dear husband.

"Aaaah! No! Don't leave me alone with him. Please, don't—grk!"

Did I just hear someone scream?

I cocked my head.

Nah. Must have been my imagination.

Quickening my pace, I did my best to catch up to Mr Ambrose—my best unfortunately not being good enough, currently. Dratted oversized, ballooning belly!

When I finally reached him, he was standing on top of a cliff at the rocky shore, gazing down at a ship anchored nearby that was clearly not a pirate vessel. It wasn't really hard to tell, considering the Union Jack fluttering atop the mast and the letters on the prow that proudly proclaimed Croesus.

"Let me guess..." Stepping up beside him, I leaned my head against his shoulder. "One of yours?"

"What gave it away?"

"The luxurious design, of course."

"Indeed?"

"Indeed."

There was a moment of silence. Then...

"Um...Mr Ambrose?"

"Yes?"

"Now that we'll be returning home..." I hesitated as something occurred to me. "Just checking, we will be returning home, right?"

I swear, if he was going to tell me he wanted to continue on with his merry band of sea-brigands and let me give birth to a gaggle of little pirate babies, I was going to brain him with a frying pan.