Chapter 14

Rue was trying to get better. It was slow progress but it was progress. I hadn't talked to my mom in 3 weeks. She hasn't called. I'm starting to get worried.

"Hey you ok kid? You're quieter than usual. " Fez asks that night as we're sitting and watching tv. Ashtray stares at me.

"I'm fine fez its just my mom hasn't called in a while." I respond staring at the tv and avoiding all eye contact.

"She'll call kid, she might not right now but she's thinking of you."

My gaze shifts from the tv to him, "thanks fez."

_______

"You guys broke up?!!" I scream into my phone. Ashtray looks up from his book clearly annoyed but I couldn't really care less. Apparently Kat and Ethan had broken up and Kat has just now told me she dumped him.

"Oh Kat, I'm so sorry!" Lexi says from the other line. Taking the news more calmly. I find my composure and say the same.

"Thanks guys but it really just wasn't meant to be." Kat says. "I'll call you guys back."

"K bye!" me and Lexi say at the same time I hang up the phone and lay on my bed staring at ashtray as he reads one of my algebra books.

Besides Ethan and Kat breaking up, Maddy was still pissed at Cassie and Cassie was not handling that well. I suddenly jolt up from my bed and grab my phone.

"Where are you going?" Ashtray shouts from behind me.

"Just on a bike ride!" I shout back. I end up biking to Lexis house and knock on the door.

"This isn't a really good time.." Lexi says but is interrupted by Cassie's screaming.  My eyes widen wow it really is that bad I think to myself.  "You know what just come in." Lexi says opening the door clearly sick of Cassies bullshit.

Me and Lexi talk for hours and she tells me how she was having second thoughts about putting on the play.

"I mean this is really affecting Cassie I don't know if i can do it." Lexi says.

"Are you crazy? Of course you can you have to people need to realize how stupid they're being Lexi and i read that script, the show must go on!"

Lexi chuckles. "All right, all right!" Throwing her hands up in mock surrender. "The show must go on." We smile.

I get home and ashtrays on my ass again he's been acting all weird after that whole rue incident.

"Why did that bike ride take so long? Where were you?" He asks leaning over the counter across from me with both hands.

"I ended up biking over to Lexis." I shrug pouring juice into a glass.

"Yeah? Well you should've said something!" He says. I look at him in disbelief.

"Ok MOM." I say sarcastically not taking him seriously.

"Im being serious You could be in serious danger, and we wouldn't even know, You're being careless." He says.

"Why are you interrogating me like some police officer? I said I went over to Lexis and you're not in charge of what I do. You're being really fucking annoying." I say slamming the glass down harder than intended and going upstairs.

"That ones on you man." Fez says smoking his cigarette. 

Ashtray walks into the room that night I turn around the other way in my bed to avoid him looking at me or me looking at him.

"Look I'm sorry." he starts. "I was just worried ok?" "I should've been calmer about it though." I turn around slowly and i notice he's averting his eyes blushing incredibly hard he's flustered I smile and he looks at me his cheeks still red.

"Its ok." I say. "I thought it was kind of cute." I quickly turn back around and cover myself with my blanket and fall into a deep sleep.

What me and ashtray didn't see was Lexi and fez talking to each other and smiling on the couch downstairs or the fact that Custer and Faye were talking outside by the garage about ratting out that fez killed mouse.

(Im so sorry I haven't updated in a while but i was logged out of my account and didn't remember my password thank you guys for being so patient will definitely update more!)