Brains Against Chains

{LEXI'S POV}
When I get to the guild box I'm smothered with dozens of huge hugs, which I'm sure Reiki considers karma for his boobs-to-face embarrassment in the arena just now. I have no regrets.

Dad lifts me out of the suffocating embrace and spins me around, pride in his eyes.

"Lexi used magic!" is the shout that fills Domus Flau. Is it really such a big deal?

The audience is still buzzing with excitement while the Lamia Scale and Blue Pegasus contestants take the field. Edel Babasaama and Axis Link are up against Hikaru Lates and Anastasia Clementine.

The final double battle of the fourth day is brains against chains. Anastasia starts the match by growing a field of all sorts of crazy flowers of all colors, shapes and sizes. Hikaru seems to have a plan.

On the other hand, Edel spins like a dreidel. Axis summons a chain and tosses one end to Edel. Edel catches it and continues spinning, launching Axis like a human wrecking ball.

Axis tries to kick Hikaru in the face as he swings by, but Hikaru raises a firewall in time to protect himself. Anastasia motions to the flowers surrounding Edel. "Itchy pollen!"

Puffs of green pollen spray from the flowers and I feel itchy just looking at it. However, Edel is spinning so fast that he's formed something of a wind barrier around himself, like a tornado spinning outwards, and it prevents the pollen from touching him.

The boys form a tornado that blows the pollen everywhere else instead. It spreads across the arena towards Hikaru and Anastasia. She quickly spreads her hands and has several colorful flowers pop out of the ground to absorb the itchy pollen.

"Tch!" Hikaru clicks his tongue. He swipes away something on his archive screen. "Next plan, Ana!"

"Got it." She says, switching her stance. "Vine snare."

Vines surge up from the ground and attempt to snare Edel, but they keep ripping from his intense spinning and the wind it produces. Anastasia almost gets kicked in the face but Hikaru defends her with a firewall too. This gives her an idea and she switches targets, aiming to snare Axis instead.

She wraps up his legs in vines and plants her feet. She almost gets pulled off the ground by Edel, but Hikaru catches her. Together, they stop Axis' motion. His hands are holding a chain that Edel holds on the other end, still attempting to spin.

Meanwhile, his feet are being pulled in the opposite direction by Hikaru and Anastasia. Axis is stuck midair, being stretched from both directions. His chains are more durable than Anastasia's vines and Blue Pegasus is losing the human tug-o-war.

Hikaru whispers something in Anastasia's ear. She nods. Roots grow from her body, digging into the soil. Anastasia's no longer in danger of being pulled off her feet. More vines grow up and wrap around the rest of Axis's body, holding him tight.

Edel pulls. Anastasia and Hikaru pull. Axis looks blue from getting stretched too much. Edel sees this and hesitates, horror and concern plainly etched across his face. He stops spinning.

All the vines let go at once. Axis is slingshotted straight at Edel with the force of a cannon ball. The two dazed boys roll head over heels, getting tied in a knot of limbs. Anastasia smirks.

"Snore powder!" Poppies grow around the boys and spray them with white powder that knocks the Lamia Scale mages out immediately.

Anastasia and Hikaru fist bump and grin, proud to have secured 10 points for their guild. Now the fourth day scores are displayed for all to see.

Fairy Tail: 63
Mermaid Heel: 48
Sabertooth: 47
Blue Pegasus: 36
Lamia Scale: 32
Quatro Cerberus: 14

Only one day left and it's an all day event tomorrow. Will it be a battle royale like the ending event of the Grand Magic Games always is? Somehow that seems a little too repetitive and predictable.

A different magic competition should have a different ending (preferably one that doesn't unleash seven dragons on Crocus and almost wipe out humanity either). It'd be boring otherwise.

Only time will tell. Tonight is the time to celebrate Reiki's and my achievements today, earning 20 points and blasting us ahead of the other guilds.

Even Nashi and Avery get along. Our team is all rolled up sleeves and pumped fists. We aren't going to take it easy one bit on the final day. That's not how Fairy Tail rolls. This is still anyone's game.