Chapter 25- Almost Is Never Enough

Almost Is Never Enough by Ariana Grande (cover by Andie Case)

Hey guys, this is a special chapter. In the previous chapter, you got a glimpse of the pain Mavis went through so this chapter is all about her. (WARNING: THIS CHAPTER MAY MAKE YOU CRY SO GRAB A TISSUE BOX AND LISTEN TO THE SONG ABOVE ON A LOOP.)

The characters in this chapter and for further chapters are Alexandra Daddario as Mavis Drake and David Henrie as Justin Russo. Enjoy!!!

-Mavis-

The night seemed almost still as I sat on top of the Empire State Building in New York City. I left Jack back in London after I went off on him and he saw me cry. I had broken my record of not letting anyone see me cry and it was all because I had talked about the one person I could never forget. Justin Russo. Justin was my first love and he always would be. Even if I haven't seen him in over a half a century. I met him when I was 15 and still a human. He was 16 at the time and we became best friends. We could tell each other everything and never run out of things to talk about. On my 18th birthday he confessed his feelings for me and I did too and from there we were a couple. After a couple of months, a terrible fate awaited us and we were both Vampires and torn apart. The memory was still fresh in my mind as if it had happened yesterday.

-Flashback-

"Come on Mavi, keep up!" Justin said as he tugged at my hand and practically dragged me to Battery Park.

"Okay okay, jeez Justin you don't have to pull my arm off." I said and he let up and gave me a sheepish smile. His blue eyes shone in the moonlight and I laughed. We continued walking hand in hand to Battery Park when, suddenly, a man dressed in black from head to toe appeared and stood in front of us.

"Well, what do we have here? A couple of love birds in Battery Park at night is a bit suspicious, don't you think?" He asked as he gave us a creepy smile, "Well I think you two picked the wrong time to come here and, well, let's just say that you'll have to suffer the consequences."

"Who are you? What do you want from us?" Justin said as he pushed me behind him as a way of protecting me. I was frightened. My heart was beating fast and as I clung to Justin's back, I could feel his heart beating fast as well. The strange and frightening man laughed and tsk- tsked us. He started walking toward us and we found it hard to move. We were rooted to the spot, not out of fear but because this strange man was staring intently at us as if he was the one holding us in place.

"You shouldn't have asked that." Before we could react, more frightening people dressed in black showed up and we were torn apart.

"Mavis!"

"Justin!"

-Flashback slowly fades back to reality, the screams still being heard-

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I could still hear our screams. After that night, we never saw each other again and I struggled to survive as a disgusting blood-drinking, life-stealing Vampire. I searched and searched for Justin but I gave up and I lost all hope. Why did the first greatest love I would've had be taken from me? Where was Justin Russo, the love of my life, at this moment? At the moment I needed him most? My mind kept thinking, questioning if while I was here Justin was somewhere thinking about me. Was he? Or was he happy with someone else? Or- no. I couldn't think like that. I had to keep the faith that he was alive still, after 55 years. I tried to move on but I found it hard. The past relationships I had were never enough. I would find ways to mess them up and let that person down so I wouldn't feel anything for them.

I think a part of me is afraid to love again and the other part of me still hopes Justin will show up out of nowhere and take me into his arms and kiss me. No one could take the place of Justin Russo. No one. I looked down at the busy street below and wondered what would happen if I jumped. Of course, nothing would happen. I wouldn't die or break any bones, just, simply just land softly. I hated this life. I hated being 18 forever. I hated knowing that I could never get close to anyone because eventually they'd die. I hated the fact that other Vampires I knew were happy because they had found their mate. And me? I'm all alone.