Chapter 5 - The birth of Ainz Ooal Gown

December 28th, 2131. World: Niflheim. The Fields of Ever Frost. Recommended level: 90-95

Within the myth of Yggdrasil, the World Tree bore nine realms, each unique and all served an important role. The realm of Niflheim was located with the roots of the World Tree. It was said that the frozen realm was one of the first or the first realms that came into existence. In old Norse, the name Niðavellir meant mist world. The entire realm was uninhabited, a desolate world filled with nothing but cold and mist. Vast stretches of land empty. It was this realm from which all the rivers that existed through the nine realms originated from.

The world of Niflheim within YGGDRASIL reflected its barren origin. The playable world one of the most barren of all nine playable realms. Forever trapped within winter. A nearly frozen landscape with little to few plains and ranges that escape the icy grips of the world. Fog and mist permeate roughly 70% of the surrounding area, making travel extremely challenging and dangerous. Hiding all manner of landmarks and mobs within the veil of darkness.

This continues as one travels further and further out, large mountains and plateaus decorate the rockier ventures and world.

Within the world of Niflheim, near the edge of the realm lies [The Fields of Ever Frost]. An area said to have an everlasting winter. A fitting theme for the realm of the ice.

What made this area unique was that for most of the year it was inaccessible through normal means. Players cannot normally traverse the lands as there's always a blizzard storm preventing players from even making it. Anyone caught in the storm would be inflicted with several status ailments such as [Hypothermia], and [Frostbite]. It didn't matter if they came prepared with articles of clothing or items to reduce the effects, the storm would weather them down regardless. There was only one time where the area was accessible.

For a single month, specifically December, the never-ending blizzard came to a halt and laid its secrets bare to all the players. Allowing them access to the mysterious land, but only for a short time.

The trip to The Fields of Ever Frost was an investment, as any party or group that wishes to enter must make the trip manually. There was little in the ways of safe zones along the path. It's has been recorded that it would take two hours just to reach the fields. And that was not accounting for any possible encounters and trekking through the hazardous and rocky landscapes. A party would need to prepare weeks, if not a month in advance to gather all the gold and equipment necessary to make the trip. It was a perilous journey, but a worthwhile one.

The best way to describe the area was a winter wonderland.

Snow lazily fell from the virtual sky above, clear and shining with hundreds of stars this night.

The Fields, or as it should be more aptly called a forest stretched far and wide. The entire forest was made out of pine trees as snow decorating the forest and land white. A pristine and frozen world forever trapped in time in winter. Within the area lay host to a wide variety of monsters unseen within any of the other nine realms, and thus contain special loot drops. In addition to various plants, and animals. Old and decrepit ruins of towns dotted the land. A seeming reminder of what they were once was before the frozen storm left nothing but ruins.

Perhaps the most eye-catching of the entire area the lone rocky cliff at the center of the Field. A rocky landmass, as if it shot up from the earth. On said landmass was a massive gothic castle built precariously on the cliff overlooking everything.

With how thin and narrow the cliffside was it would be impossible for such a structure to remain perfectly situated, yet it was. It stood there, a monument for all to see.