🔆The Great Wall Race🔆

~~~

"Once a year, this city becomes more than a city. Once a year, these streets... become more than streets. This year... the winner will become... immortal!"

I've seen my fair share of the Great Wall Race, mainly due to the track taking up one of the roads next to the abandoned building I call home. It's one of the biggest events of the year, rivalled only by the Lantern City Festival.

The camera cuts and zooms out to show a giant trophy shaped as a Peach of Immortality. The advertisement continues as MK and Mei gasp in excitement.

"A Peach of Immortality!" MK exclaimed, Pigsy looked up, confused. "Uh, Peach of what now?" He asked.

MK and Mei start ranting at Pigsy for not knowing what the Peaches of Immortality are. Tang clears his throat and interrupts the conversation.

"If you'll allow me." Flipping the pages of one of his books, he lends on the one he wanted. "Legend says there is a sacred field of trees which grows in the Heavenly Realm, protected by the gods themselves. Every few thousand years, these trees bring forth the Peaches of Immortality. Against the wishes of the Heavenly Host, the Monkey King took them all, making himself immortal!"

"Hold up. I thought Monkey King was already immortal." Pigsy admitted.

Mei the jumped up. "Piggy, you're missing the point! Whoever wins this race will..."

~~~

"Live forever! A-Are you two even listening?" Red Son huffed as he glared at his parent, who were both ignoring him

Iron Fan looked at him passively. "Uh... something about peaches? Look, your schemes are quaint, but I never much cared for stone fruit."

"But... the peaches are powerful!" Red Son reasoned.

"Like the Weather Station was powerful?" Iron Fan retorted. "Why don't you just run along, hmm? Can't you see Mommy and Daddy have important business with an ancient power source."

"Fine! You two stay here in your hole digging your "mysterious power source." Ugh, I am going to win the race, and when I get that peach, I'm not sharing!" Red Son walked away, hugging like an angsty teen all the while.

Demon Bull King snarled. "Foolish boy. If I were to race, I would crush him!"

Princess Iron Fan smirked. "It would be wrong of us to shatter our son's ambitions. That's far too cruel! Even for demons."

Both of them devilishly laugh, plaiting their own son's racing downfall.

~~~

"This is huge! Those other racers won't stand a chance!" MK cheered.

"Right? I know the track like the back of my hand! The back alleys, the front alleys, the sideway alleys. All the alleys! I was made for this!" Mei exclaimed haughtily.

'That's a lot of alleys.' I thought.

"Yep! I'm totally gonna win this thing." I slowly turned my head to MK, obliviously unaware of Mei's scrutinizing glare.

'At least I know his ability now...'

"Wait, what? You're not racing. I'm racing. You've been watching me train for months! This should not be a surprise." Mei exclaimed.

MK sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh, yeah, uh, I just thought you were doing that stuff for me." Mei growled and MK shrunk away, laughing nervously. "But upon reflection, that doesn't make much sense."