𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆

The music vibrates within my chest as I move my body to the beat

The music vibrates within my chest as I move my body to the beat. I close my eyes and give myself over to the moment. The smell of sweaty bodies and smoke invades my senses. I lower my hands from above my head and move them along my body with the tempo of the song.

The feeling of a hand touching my ass pulls me from the feeling of freedom. I shoot my eyes open and look behind me. "Hey, back the fuck up!" I shout to the stranger. He laughs, throws his hands up, and walks away.

"Did he just touch you?" Emily shouts over the music as she walks up to me. She's carrying a drink in both hands and her blonde hair is swaying behind her.

"Yeah. I can't have one moment to myself before some asshole ruins it." I roll my eyes and grab the drink out of her hand.

"Cheers to life in New York City." She says sarcastically and lifts her glass to mine. I toss the alcohol down my throat. We both laugh as it burns going down.

God, I love Emily Rhodes. She's so wild and carefree. I think meeting her in cosmetology school six years ago was the thing that got me through hard times. I've had friends before, but I truly believe that she's my platonic soul mate. I wouldn't be here in New York living my best life without her.

Emily places our empty glasses on a table nearby and runs back throwing her arms around me. "My song!" She laughs and starts dancing. I laugh with her because every song is her song. I watch her dance and she moves so effortlessly.

If Emily isn't working at the Salon, then she's at dance class

If Emily isn't working at the Salon, then she's at dance class. She's amazing and anyone that's ever seen her will agree. Her parents robbed her of a dance career. They never believed in her. I think they wanted her to be a nurse or to marry a rich investor. She settled on cosmetology because it wouldn't fully disappoint her parents and she enjoys it. I think choosing something of her own gave her a sense of control over her life.

She comes from a wealthy family. They have paid for almost everything she has, even if she didn't ask for it. As much as I don't care for her parents I am grateful because they helped us get into the salon we work at and the apartment we currently live in. I'd probably be living in a box under the Brooklyn Bridge without Emily. I wouldn't be here in New York living my best life without her help.