𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙁𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

The silence is loud as we sit in the van and stare out at the empty cemetery

The silence is loud as we sit in the van and stare out at the empty cemetery. My mouth feels dry and my palms are sweaty. I take a breath before opening the door. Eddie follows my lead as he watches me step out of the van. I wait for him to join my side before we walk to my parent's grave.

Eddie's hand reaches for mine and I lace our fingers together. He gives me a soft and encouraging smile as he stands with flowers in his other hand. He insisted on grabbing flowers before we left. He said he wants to make a good impression. I think I fell more in love with him, if that's even possible.

We reach my parent's gravesite and I stare at their headstones as if it was the first time. I read their names over and over.

Katherine and Henry Callaway.

Eddie steps forward and places the flowers on my mom's headstone. He lightly touches my dad's headstone before stepping back beside me.

"Happy Thanksgiving," I whisper.

A soft cool breeze brushes against my skin and the sun peeks through the clouds for a moment. I smile as if that were my parent's way of greeting me.

"I'll give you some privacy. I'll be in the car." Eddie says as he leans in to kiss my head.

I quickly grab his arm before he walks away. He looks down at me. "Please stay," I ask.

He steps back next to me and holds my hand. "Whatever you need." He says. I give him a soft smile before looking back down.

The last time I was here it was raining, which was very fitting for how I felt at that time. I never imagined moving away from here. From them. I'm almost relieved to be here. As if a weight on my chest has been lifted. I'm thankful that the drive here from Hawkins is only thirty minutes and that we were able to make it here before going to Robin's house.

"Thank you for bringing me," I say to Eddie without looking up.

"Of course." He says. I drop my head on his shoulder. His scent swirls around me like a comforting blanket. "So, should I say something or introduce myself?"

I laugh softly and look at him. "No. I mean, you could. But sometimes I just sit here with them." 

Eddie slowly sits in the grass, taking me down with him. "You don't talk to them?" He asks.

"I do, but I've only ever been alone," I say, avoiding eye contact.

Eddie takes a dramatic breath and I look over at him. He's sitting down with his arms loosely resting on his knees as he stares at their headstones. "Well, Mr. and Mrs. Callaway, you'll both be happy to know that Madi is doing great. She seems to be adjusting well in New York, even though I know she misses it here more than she will admit. She stays out of trouble, I make sure of that. I'm a pretty good influence on her, don't worry." Eddie looks at me and winks. A laugh escaped my lips, but it comes out more like a sob.