𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

Eddie reaches over and opens the glove compartment

Eddie reaches over and opens the glove compartment. His hand shoves random objects and empty boxes of cigarettes around until he finds what he was looking for.

He laughs in disbelief. "Holy shit. It's still here."

Eddie holds up an old cassette tape. The name of the band is almost faded, but I can make out enough to realize it's a Black Sabbath tape. He starts up the van and it purrs like it's brand new. Eddie's face lights up as he presses the tape into the cassette deck and turns up the volume. The music starts blaring and Eddie bangs his hands on the wheel in excitement. I burst out laughing. He starts banging his head with the tempo.

My face hurts with how big my smile is. I feel like I am in a dream as I watch him. Nostalgia and deja vu twist around my brain like vines taking over an old house. Eddie catches me watching him. He leans over, gently grabbing the back of my neck and pulling me in for a kiss. I laugh against his lips and then kiss him back.

"I know exactly where we can go." He says.

He looks at me and smirks before placing his hand on my seat's headrest as he turns back to back out of the driveway. The windows are down and the cool breeze rushes in, his warm smell curling around me. I zip up my jacket and embrace the fresh air as we drive out of Wayne's neighborhood. The street lights flicker against the windshield as we gain speed on the backroad. I feel Eddie's hand rest on my thigh and I look over at him and smile.

"Make sure you pull over if you feel tempted." I open my leg slightly and tease him.

He laughs and squeezes my thigh. "Don't be naughty. We don't need another accident."

"Oh, god! Please no." I shout over the music.

Eddie grabs my hand and kisses it. "Don't worry, we don't have to repeat that part of history."

"Good," I say.

We reach downtown Hawkins and Eddie lowers the music. It's nine o'clock and the streets are almost empty. Most of the shops downtown are closed, but a group of people walk out of the movie theater as we drive by.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

He smiles. "Back to the beginning."

I tilt my head in confusion as he pulls the van over and parks. I look around the empty streets. Eddie jumps out of the van and runs over to my side to open my door. The moment I grab his hand and step onto the sidewalk it hits me.

The playground.

I smile at him. "The playground?"

He smirks and closes the car door. He leans back against the van and looks at me. "Let's relive some old memories while we are in town. A little walk down memory lane. What do you say?"

A walk down memory lane? There aren't a lot of people that get the chance to relive memories with someone that shares so much of the same experiences and past. There was a study done once that said only thirty percent of high school students stay connected with their friends into adulthood and less than two percent of marriages are high school sweethearts.