24 - Three Years Worth Waiting

"What do you mean you're going?", your voice lowered, looking up at Keith with wide eyes. His hand caressed the side of your face as he looked down, biting his lip slightly. "Keith,", those mesmerising violet eyes glanced at you and, knowing he couldn't get away with not answering you, he sighed.

"Those people in the hut, I ran into them when I went to get Shiro yesterday and came back with me. They recognised the things on my wall, and we're gonna go check out where it leads us. I don't know how long I'll be gone, but I'll try to keep in touch, I promise,", his lips pressed against your forehead, and his free hand cradled the back of your head as you buried your face in his shirt.

"Why can't I come along?", you asked.

"I don't want you getting hurt, darling. It's not that I don't trust you to protect yourself, I'd just rather know you're safe here,", you pulled away, crossing your arms and entering his hut, wordlessly. "y/n, please,", the ravenette followed you back into the building like a lost puppy.

"Woah, what just happened there?", Lance questioned, watching as you slammed the door to Keith's room. Running a hand over his face, Keith shook his head and huffed. "Nothing good, then,", Pidge slapped his arm and made a shushing motion, and the male rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed.

"I just wish I had some way of knowing she was alright while we were gone,", Keith admitted, sitting down on the couch next to Shiro with a frown. Pidge's face lit up at the statement, and she soon found herself scurrying around, grabbing a few pieces of metal and wires that had been lying around before getting to work. "What're you doing?"

"You said you wanted to know she was okay, right?", he nodded, standing from his seat and walking towards the brunette, who pushed her glasses up before returning to work. "Well, with this device, you should be able to track her location at all times and send small signals, in the form of a buzz. Is there anything she never takes off?"

"I gave her a necklace a while back. You could put it on to that?", he suggested, jogging to his bedroom. Cautiously, he took a step towards the bed, noticing that you had yet to look up from your hands. "y/n,", his tone was soft, almost hesitant, as he moved closer, sitting down next to you and placing a hand atop of yours. "I have a proposition,"

"I'm listening,", you muttered, leaning your head on his shoulder. As much as you hated the idea of leaving his side, you couldn't stay mad at him for long. It was the last thing you wanted to do, considering how much he had been through in the past couple of years.

"If Pidge put a tracker on your necklace so that I knew where you were, then you may be able to come with us, and I can send you signals so you know I'm okay. Or, I don't know, join us when I know it's safer. I want to know that I'm not putting you at risk before I take you anywhere,",

"Fine. But you better come back to me, Kogane. I'm not losing you,", you mumbled into his shoulder. He chuckled softly, wrapping an arm around your waist and leaning into you a little more.

"I'll always come back to you, love,"

---

It had been three years since that interaction. Your boyfriend, Keith, never did return to earth. He stayed in contact for the first few months of being away, telling you the vague message through morse code of "I'm in space,", though you had no idea exactly what he had been up to.

In those three years, a lot had happened. For one, you made your own way into space after stealing one of the Garrison's ships and managed to befriend the Blade of Marmora. Kolivan, their leader, trained you. He taught you to be the most robust human he could, saying that you were 'on par with the paladins of Voltron', though you had no idea who they were.