Chapter 2

"Ichigo." I heard Urahara sigh.

"Uncle Kisuke, please don't start with this again." I heard Ichigo mutter, my eyebrows shooting into my hairline. Uncle?
I peaked around the barely opened door, crouching down so as not to be seen, watching as the teacher pulled his glasses from his nose and rubbed the bridge of it, annoyed.

"Why won't you talk about it, Ichi?" Urahara asked quietly.
"I heard you last night. It was awful."

"I'll get used to it eventually-" Ichigo started.

"YOU CAN'T KEEP DOING THIS." Urahara slammed his fist on the desk, standing up.
"You cannot just say you're fine, because you're not! You were so close to them-"

Ichigo interrupted him.
"NO..I wasn't. You were close, not me. Dad couldn't..even..look at me. Yuzu cried when I looked into her eyes and Karin avoided me completely. It hurts to know they died, but it makes me feel better they don't have to see me anymore. They're finally with Mom again, Kisuke! How else am I supposed to feel?" Ichigo whispered the last part almost helplessly.

"Ichigo-"

"No. I have classes. I'll take the bus home. Please excuse me." Ichigo mumbled, picking his things up before quickly making his way to the door.

I stood swiftly and backed away a bit to hopefully make it seem as though I was passing by just as he swung the door open.

"Oh!" He gasped quietly upon seeing me. He smiled right after, though, his eyes warm.
"Grimmjow." He said happily. "Where are you going?"

"G-Gym." I stuttered out, captivated by his honeyed gaze and calming voice.

"Ah! Would you be willing to let me walk with you?" He asked me, to which I nodded. He smiled at me again and my chest throbbed with a foreign pain.

We walked in silence as he looked around, taking in his new surroundings.

"Excuse me, but, I was wondering what the rest of your schedule looks like. And..if I could sit with you at lunch." Ichigo whispered the last part and looked down at his feet nervously.

"Uh, yeah, I..I got Chem after lunch and Trig after that. And I'd love for you to sit at my table." I told him as I opened the door to the gym for him.
"Oh, uh..fair warning. Coach Zaraki isn't the nicest-"

"Zaraki? Like, Kenpachi Zaraki?" Ichigo lit up like a kid in a candy store after I nodded cautiously.

"Uh, yeah. Ya know'im?" I didn't think a kid like Ichigo, someone who seemed quite small and fragile despite his actual body build, would know someone like Coach Zaraki, let alone like him.

"Yes! Where is he?!" I couldn't get over Ichigo's ecstatic face.
He never ceased to surprise me.

"Should be in the locker room-" and Ichigo was off.

~~~ Ichigo ~~~

Oh, boy was I excited. Uncle Kisuke hadn't told me Kenpachi's second job was a gym teacher!

I slammed the locker room door open, not caring about the startled stares I got.

"Zaraki!" I demanded, to which I heard stumbling and a few small crashes before a familiar spiked head popped out from an office.

"Kurosaki?" He asked, and upon seeing me, he grinned.
I noticed the kids around me were a bit frightened at it, but it just made me happier.
"Take a walk with me, boy!" He thundered, clapping me roughly on the shoulder, to which I laughed as he lead me out.
"When'd you get back?"

"Well, uh..you heard about -"

"Yeah. Kisuke told me. Sorry 'bout that, but at least they aren't suffering anymore." Kenpachi told me solemnly.
I nodded quietly.

"Yeah. Anyways, I got back yesterday afternoon about seven. Why weren't you at the airport too?"

"I went to a competition for Yachi. I just got to school fifteen minutes ago. Kisuke didn't tell me you were getting here so early, or I'da taken off! Anyways, ya made any friends yet, Berry-Head?"

"Hey! Don't call me that, spike face!" I grumbled at him, but he only raised an amused eyebrow.
"I made a friend..with a guy..named Grimmjow."

"Jeagerjaques? Hmm.." I watched Kenpachi curiously as he seemed to contemplate the name.
"A'ight. Jeagerjaques is a good kid all around. His friends are an okay bunch too."

I inwardly smiled, grateful for his protectiveness. He'd always been that way because I was like a son to him, and after the accident, when he could tell my relationship with my family changed, he became even more protective. Kenpachi made sure I was trained as high as possible in all martial arts and he even taught me street fighting. Needless to say, I was happy my second father was there.

"Hey, Ken?"

"Yeah, Ichi?"

"I kinda..I had a fight with Kisuke..about.." I didn't want to say it. It made me hurt.

"Ah, kid. Ya know he's just worried 'bout'chya. It's understandable - you are-"

"Coach! Are we starting?!" A tall kid called, and I noticed he was standing next to Grimmjow, who smirked when he caught my eye.

"That's Jiruga, Ichi. I'll let Jeagerjaques introduce the rest of them. I'll see ya at home."

"I actually need a ride from you-"

"You're going home with Kisuke ya stubborn brat." Kenpachi told me sternly, physically turning me around to shove me towards Grimmjow and his friends.

________

I actually hope I'm frustrating you guys. Those of you that figured it out or have fair guesses, keep it to yourself please! I wanna at least surprise a few people!✌🏼