Chapter 8

~ Grimmjow ~

Ichigo looked absolutely terrified.
I opened my mouth to speak, but he held up a shaky hand, making me mumble unhappily.
Eventually, Ichigo just rested his head on the small kitchen table in our dorm and I listened as he breathed deeply for a few moments.

He finally raised his head to meet my gaze with his own steady one.
"I'll be back."
And off he went, out our door, leaving me dumbfounded.

Not minutes later, he came back with Nnoitra in tow, making me frown deeper.
Nnoitra plopped into the seat next to me and slouched, his eyes set on Ichigo in a level stare.
"Go'head. Grimm'll take it fine."

Ichigo nodded and opened his mouth, but instead of speaking he pushed himself away from the table and stood.

"B-but even my best friend shut me out for a while-"

"You left him for a year with no explanation and then hid it from him for another two months after you went back." Nnoitra replied easily.

"What the hell?" I finally got the words to speak.
I was angry because Ichigo had told Nnoitra whatever 'it' was before me. And Ichigo trusted Nnoitra before me and then my best friend had kept it from me.
"Spit it out-"

"I-I'm blind!" Ichigo squeaked, wide-eyed at my outburst.
I went lax, slowly sinking back into my seat.
Nnoitra watched me warily and Ichigo wouldn't look away from me, even though his expression told me he desperately wanted to.

"What?" I asked dumbly.

Ichigo seemed to be a bit calmer, reassured at my soft response. He gently took a seat back down at the table in front of me.
"I...I'm blind. In my right eye." Ichigo took a deep breath, "When I was seven, I had an accident. My mom died, and I came out blind in my right eye. My left eye kind of...kind of looks like I'm looking through fog all the time."

I sat for a moment, mulling it over.
"That's it?"

"W-what?"

"That's...that's it? My best friend doesn't even have his eye. And you think-"

"Grimmjow stop now."
And boy, did I regret my words.

Nnoitra had never gotten that serious with me, in all the time I'd known him.
I finally looked at Ichigo fully, taking in his appearance, and I felt dread rip through me.

His eyes were watering and he looked pissed. He took a moment to actually speak.

"You....you think I wanted to tell you?!" He asked me furiously. I'm pretty sure I visibly paled.
"I didn't! I didn't want to tell anyone! I've been dealing with this since I was seven! Almost ten years! It bothers me. It makes me weak. It makes me disabled, means I can't do some things. I have potential to join the Olympics, but I can't because I'm fucking blind. Kisuke worked with me to teach me subconscious human aspects. Why do you think I asked your height? Why do I have to touch the desks? Why do I have to be less than everyone else?!" Ichigo glowered powerfully at me.
"Because I wanted to play in my mother's chemical lab and insisted on playing with a loose valve to a dangerous chemical holding container."
Ichigo snatched his phone from the table and stalked out, leaving me alone with Nnoitra.

"Not everyone has had practice being as uncaring as I am about their disabilities. He came to me for help, Grimm. He knew I have the same problem as him. Now, I didn't know that last part, but you sure fucked that up." Nnoitra also walked away, patting my shoulder as he passed.

~ Ichigo ~

I sobbed into the receiver, listening as my best friend spoke.
"I'm comin' Ichi. Don't worry."

"I...I know what you're thinking, but...y-you can't..you can't hurt him."

Renji sighed and I heard a car door shut.
"I ain't gonna hurt him. I gotta take care'a you."

Despite myself, I grinned weakly through my tears, and let a choked giggle pass through my lips.
"St-still protective, huh?"

"I'd give my life for you and ya know it. Ain't nothin' more important to me." Renji told me calmly and my weak smile strengthened.

"I'll see you in an hour Ren. Don't...don't speed."
Renji only replied with an indignant huff.

__________________
Maybe it's the influence of my strong need for angst lately, but I really wanted screaming and fighting.
I have been advised not to put too much in, so...
This'll have to do.

And no, Renji is NOT a romantic interest to Ichigo, nor Visa Versa.
He's just basically a protective wall that feels the need to rip Grimmjow apart and is kept in check by Ichigo.

Thank you guys for following!
✌️