Chapter 18

~ Urahara ~

I guided Ichigo to sit down on a bench away from the party after having taken him from the water.

"Ichigo...why don't you tell me what's going on?" I asked.
Surprisingly, instead of mumbling that he was fine, he turned and curled into my side, much like Yachiru did when she was frightened or confused.

"I don't know why..." he whimpered, and I gently stroked his hair.

"Don't know why what, Ichi?"

"Why I wanna kiss him! I've only known him for...for almost two weeks! I feel so worthless.."

I sat up in astonishment, pulling Ichigo's face from my side.
"Why do you feel worthless?" I asked, befuddled.

"Because...because I don't just trust people. No matter how badly my brain knows how much I want - how much I need to trust someone, I can't do it. And then along comes that fucking devil and he's...he just knows! He knows how to live with me and how to take care of me and I find myself thinking I want to curl up next to him and never move or do anything for myself and I shouldn't because he's my friend and the first one I've had in a while that I made on my own and I can't...I can't..just...like him.."
Once again, he sniffled and hid his face in his hands.

"Oh...Ichigo.." I pulled him towards me and let him sob into my shoulder as I rubbed his back soothingly.

"I think you should give it a try, kid."
I started a bit at my spouse's voice, and my eyes followed him as he moved to sit down on the other side of Ichigo. He looked out at the sky that was just beginning to turn the slightest shade of orange over the lake, and I smiled when I noticed his hand set on Ichigo's back as well.

"It'd take a blind man to miss the kinda likin' he's taken to you. No, it ain't love, but ya got something goin', someone that can care for ya the way you and your family can't. He's a good kid, average brains and a hellova wide receiver. Ya stick with him and you'll be alright."

Even I was startled at the deep care and sincerity in Kenpachi's little speech, and Ichigo hugged him gratefully.

"Now stop your cryin' kid. It ain't becomin' of you."
Ichigo nodded and I kissed his head.

"Why don't you and Yachiru go and clean your face up, hmm? Can't have red eyes while you're asking a boy out, now can you?" When Ichigo nodded warily, I smiled.
"YACHI!" I called, a soaking pink blob settling itself in my lap not a minute later.
"Take Ichigo up to his room and help him clean up, please dear. When he lays down in bed, you can come back down."

"Yes Daddy! C'mon, Ichi! You need some sleep. You can't be worn out if you're gonna dance later!"

All three of us smiled at her endearing nature, Ichigo happily taking her small hand and allowing her to lead him back inside.

I was then pulled into a warm embrace, and when I looked up at Kenpachi, he grinned down at me and pecked my lips.
"I love kids." He murmured, burying his node in my dripping blonde locks.

"Me too, Ken....do you really think he'll be okay? I mean, Grimmjow's possessiveness is obvious to anyone with functioning eyes, but..but Ichi's got to sit and wonder how Grimmjow looks at him, what faces he makes, what makes him annoyed, the whole nine yards -"

"Kisuke, he'll be fine. Like I said, it would take Nelliel in rainstorm standing by tornado sirens with her eyes closed not to notice their affection for each other. Trust me, either Jeagerjaques is in denial or he's a bigger idiot than I thought." Kenpachi stroked my hair similar to the way I had petted Ichigo's and I then found myself in the air, staring a wet, muscled back.