Chapter 2 The Bizarre Nightmare

Hello?

You groaned, laughter ensued, your mind was muddled. Hazy with sleep as you stretched out on the desk. You slowly opened your eyes, adjusting to the faint light that was still on.

Your body felt heavy, unwilling to move as you came to your senses. Where are you? Finally finding the strength to move you pushed yourself up. Eyes adjusting to the darkness just beyond the light.

This place looked unfamiliar. It was an open office, there was a fan buzzing faintly in the background of your desk. Papers surrounded not only you but the checkered black and white floor.

You peered down the hallway just before you, unable to see past a certain point. It's too dark to see exactly what was down there. Hastily you stood up alarmed. Have you been kidnapped?

This place looked like the pizzaplex, except instead of seeing posters of the glamrocks hanging along the walls there were pictures of older models. There was a Freddy, with chubby cheeks painted red for blush. He looked plastic.

Bonnie was blue instead of the classic purple remembered him the most by, Chica was yellow instead of white with an unsual body shape. There was something that looked like foxy, but you weren't sure what it was.

You sat back down putting your head in your hands. Where are you? The fan was starting to cause a headache as you sat trying to wrap your mind around where you were.

The darkness that extended just beyond the desk was threatening. Like it could claim you at any second, the only thing keeping it at bay were the blades of light that fought it off. You have to think. What's the last thing you remember?

I got out of the shower, dried my hair, then got into bed.

You hummed at the recap in your mind. But that answered nothing. This place felt like it was out of time. Like you had been tossed back into the 80's. (The real 80's with its browns and neutral colors. Not the bright 80's everyone remembers.)

You moved your hands from your face, looking down at the papers that littered the desk. Maybe they had clues to where you were. Slowly picking one up you realized they would shed no light. They were your notes. Things you had written about your missing person case.

There was a report you had found about one of the devs that had lost his life. (His fellow coworkers had shared that story hesitantly. Horrified at the accident as the police called it.)
Your eyes skimmed the page, it was a police report you managed to nab. It's bullet points were highlighted

•Victim found slumped over in the beta test room, seemed to slice off his face with a paper cutter.

•VR headset still on his head. Peeled face had been put intentionally to the ground. Seems on purpose. Suicide?

•Finger prints on the weapon match the victim's.

It wasn't a lot to go on. You remember thinking that when you had gotten it at the time too. It was vague and shed no light on the true horrors happening during beta testing.

You remember what your clients said about their friend. He had been acting strangely a few days prior. Muttering, easily spooked, he looked like he had seen something. They said the company wanted to get rid of him, fire him. Like they knew he saw something.

They mentioned how just before Jeremy's decent into madness that the company had brought in old circuit boards to use for the games code. What ever was on them was long gone. (They were worried about that but it wasn't that important to remember.)