Chapter 12 Midnight Thoughts

Your mind was foggy, it was hard to think. You knew you were moving, you knew you were working, but you couldn't see what you were doing. Your vision was blurred. Though did it matter? Every movement you made felt like second nature. (Somehow you didn't feel like yourself, and yet like yourself at the same time. What an odd sensation.)

You weren't alone in the room. No matter how hard you tried to ignore it, you knew someone else was in here with you. Eyes watching you carefully from across the room. An intense gaze that meant you didn't need to turn around to know someone was staring at you from behind. Watchful eyes, observing you,  watching you as you worked diligently at your desk.

It was enough to distract you. Now your attention was on whom ever was staring.

"What's wrong?" You turned to gaze behind you. Your vision was still blurry. It was hard to make out shapes and colors. You blinked a few times to regain your vision, now finding yourself staring down at the little girl who sat nearby on the floor.

She was surrounded by toys, but she only kept one close to her. Her brilliant brown eyes glistened in the light at your desk.

"I want you to play with me." She held her ragged doll up to you, lifting an arm up from the tattered doll.
"Please?"

You turned in your chair unable to help the smile that crossed your lips. You knew she wanted you to spend more time with her, but unfortunately time wasn't something you had. Still, she always brought a smile to your face. You moved slightly in your chair, leaning down to pat her head gently.

She was your world.

"I can't play with you right now." You hated to say that, but it was the truth. You sat back up now, turning away to face the desk. It was quite again. Aside from the noise of you packing up your tools. Careful to place them meticulously into their box. You knew she wanted an answer as to why you couldn't play with her right now.
"I've got to do a few more things for work."

"Really? But I want you to play with me." Your daughter whined, standing up as you did. Like clockwork. She held her doll close to her chest shaking her head.
"I really want to spend time with you!"

You sighed.

"I know sweetheart." Extending your free hand out towards her, the other reserved for your tool box, you offered her to take it. Smiling down at her pouting face.
"How about I take you to the restaurant and you can play with the other kids while I take care of a few things. Don't you have some nice friends there?"

She was thinking. Debating if she should even go with you to work today, until finally she nodded.

"Yeah." She sounded so disappointed. But then again you already knew she was, you wanted to spend more time with her too. But work was first, you had to fix a few things around the restaurant. If only you had more time.

If only you had known that would be the last time you'd see her. If only....

Your heart pounded against your ribs at the call. Everything that was once important for work was now nothing more than an after thought. It didn't matter. She did. It couldn't be true.

You had to find her.

You ran as fast as you could. The car left abandoned from the store you were at, racing to the pizzeria just down the street. You were gone for 10 minutes. Only 10 minutes.

It can't be true.

Rain poured from the sky. Almost like it was reflecting your dread. It blurred your vision making it hard to see, but you pushed through it. Through the rough pellets of water. They felt like knives in your skin as you fought your way towards the alley, just beside your restaurant.