3 - Erin Mathis

Only after I'd left the no-door-office of Dr. Banner and Mr. Rodgers had I realized that my lab coat smelled like UFO ooze and E.T. guts. I guess being around the same stench for so long makes it harder to smell, but trust me, if you're not smelling it 24/7 100% of the time, it stinks.

Badly.

A field agent I ended up passing on my way to see Fury kindly told me of this, and I was thoroughly--although I didn't show it on the outside--embarrassed, but I guess I have no reason to be really. Working with that stuff; it's what I do. People respect that... I guess.

I sometimes think to myself, whilst I walk the many corridors of SHIELD's Heli-carrier, of possibly getting myself lost for the rest of eternity. That's when I wish I had some sort of x-ray vision so I could map out where to turn and stuff like that, but sadly, I have never been so fortunate as to land myself such a power.

Being any higher up on SHIELD's to-do list could either make my life more interesting or more boring.

If I chose to run--ever given the opportunity--SHIELD would be forced to hunt me down. Thus, making my life more interesting. Maybe not in the best way, but, I wouldn't be bored. Besides they already can't trust me, and God knows what they'd think if a new, already untrusted and inexperienced super got loose.

On the other hand, if I chose not to run, they would just keep me locked up somewhere and do God knows what after that, too!

So, I guess lacking x-ray vision is a price I'm willing to pay in order to keep what SHIELD and I already have going.

Which, is still boring.

Recognizing the corridor I had turned down--which is quite surprising, considering I'm almost never up here--I counted the paces it took to reach Director Fury's office under my breath as I watched my feet hit the metal floor.

"Twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty fou--"

"Mathis." My head rose abruptly and I stopped counting out my steps, face to face with Nick Fury.

"Yes, sir?" I stood up straighter, my curls bouncing off of my shoulders as my body was disturbed from its natural, slightly slouched position (I don't slouch all the time, nor has it developed into some terrible disease, it's just a more comfortable way to think).

"Something you need to see me about?"

I felt as if I were under interrogation. Maybe it was just the constant vibe I was getting from SHIELD and the relationship we had. I contemplated exactly what I would bring up. I hadn't had any break-through's in my research, and bringing up my little encounter with more top secret information--again, accidentally--when I stumbled across Dr. Banner and Mr. Rodgers wouldn't exactly be the best thing to bring up. Besides, Fury already sounds mad about something...

I mean, I always could ask about--

"Hmm...now that you mention it, am I authorized to know why Stark's hanging out in the lab right now?"

"The lab?" Fury questioned, an eyebrow rising. "Stark's authorized in nearly all the labs--"

"No, my lab..." I added, jabbing a finger into shoulder for emphasis.

"Oh, that." Director Fury took a moment longer to roll his eyes and turn around than he should have. "Don't worry yourself with it; Avengers stuff, anyway."

"Oh, so if I were an Avenger, I would be allowed to know of the work that actually goes on down there? You know, because, it being mine has no meaning, now. Apparently." Fury sighed loudly, turning back to me. I hadn't realized how fast I had been striding after him and was forced to stop before running into him. Before speaking, he glared at me, and I immediately resumed my straight posture.