13 - Erin Mathis

I awoke with a start.

Something was off...

And it definitely wasn't just the fact that, instead of the couch, I was now on the floor in a monstrous amount of bed sheets and quilts. To be honest, it wasn't even that cold.

Something happened yesterday...

Scratch that; about two days ago, as it was around 2 AM in the morning.

Ever since then, Tony's been acting really, REALLY weird and I have no idea why. He has been--dare I go as far as saying--protective or, at least aware of everything I decide to do with my day, unlike his usual careless behavior.

Like I said: SOMETHING happened...I just don't remember what, for some reason.

I glanced down at the mass of fabrics that covered a good half of the couch, some of the floor, and all of me, save for my arms and head. My long curly red hair was knotted and messy as I ran my fingers through it. I run my fingers through my hair when I get agitated or stressed, and I could definitely tell that I was, or, at least the alien invader was nervous, because despite my knotty hair, I was running fingers faster than Quick Silver could run down the block and back.

I knew once I had woken up that there was no falling back asleep. Even if I did decide to get back up on the couch and try, my eyes wouldn't allow it.

Something was off.

I placed a palm downward on the ground, not knowing what I was expecting to happen, but before I could even hesitate, my eyes flashed their infamous, opaque blue, and my head was filled with the entire layout for Stark's tower. It wasn't like anything specifically about the tower; just a bio-heat scan, or something along those lines, and definitely E.T. induced. It was less than a millisecond that I had my hand plastered to the ground, but it was more than long enough to figure out that:

"Someone else is here...?"

Should I get Stark? Would he even care? Probably not, but...still...

I have to do something...

I launched the covers off of my body, nearly tripping thrice in the process. I made my way up a short set of stairs, onto the platform where the kitchen/bar stood. The lights around me began to flicker, creating an ominous tone that set in at my feet like a freshly mustered fog. I was still unsure of how to control the power I possessed--extra terrestrially induced--over electricity, and as the intensity of my nervousness and excitement grew, so did the lack of oxygen I was mentally feeling. As I pressed the 'down' button on the elevator's counsel, I noticed the noises the elevator was making and the elevators functions were off from each other. That's when I made a slightly horrifying, yet fascinating discovery; it wasn't just my floor being affected by my powers. It was more like, the entire tower. The elevator doors gave their signature DING, and I hesitated for a moment, then turned away, leaving the doors open and the elevator empty.

"I think I'll just take the stairs." I mumbled, heading for a door only a few feet from the elevator that lead down a long corridor that I had yet to walk through personally.

As I walked down the hall, I traced my fingers along the intricate walls, feeling as if, although I knew I hadn't physically been there, that I had seen this place somewhere before.

Maybe that was a dream... I thought a bit spitefully to myself. a quick picture of the hall as a whole flashed quickly in my mind and I stood frozen in the middle of the corridor, letting the image sink in. My fingertips stayed in contract with the wall, so it looked like someone had just pressed a pause button on life as I stood motionless.

"That's how I knew this place..." I whispered to myself, a nearly exhilarated tone to my voice. I recalled the moment I had not long ago of when my hand touched the floor of Stark's Tower. I was under the impression that I had just done a bio-scan, but maybe I got more than I bargained for.

Wouldn't be the first time...

So, if I knew what this hall--a hall I had never been down personally--looked like just after touching the ground of the building...

Would I still be able to get lost?

Probably...knowing me, anyway...

I continued, making sure I didn't pass the stairs as my eyes scanned everything they possibly could.

"Pepper, Stark, Me..." I listed the people that I knew, for a fact, where in the tower. "But I got four heat signatures..." Stopping for a moment, I looked at the wall to my right. I shook my head, not believing the thought I was letting run through my mind at such an excited and exhilarated speed. "Alright..." I placed my hand flat against the wall, trying to repeat the bio-scan I had done moments earlier. Without much effort at all, and to my relief, another heat signature report was delivered to my minds eye. I sighed muttered a curse under my breath. "You wanted a more exiting life, Erin..."

Shrugging it off, I darted for the nearest stair case, trying to keep my mind on the fourth, unknown heat signature's location. "Garage, garage, garage..." I groaned running as fast as I could. The out come of these events was inevitable. I wouldn't make it in time to catch whoever was leaving, but I could make it in time to track them.

I could still wake up Tony... I thought to myself, grinding to a halt on the staircase. No. No! What am I thinking! I can do this on my own! I've got powers...

I don't need anyone else...

Wait...I have powers...

I gave myself a mental face palm as I remembered: I can ghost through solid objects! What the heck am I doing running stair cases?!

I closed my eyes, letting the alien take over slightly. I then willed my body through the floor, hoping to God I didn't get stuck in between floors from lack of control and/or concentration.

"Garage, garage, garage." I repeated, afraid to open my eyes.

When I did, however, I was not disappointed. So far, this alien thing hasn't done me a bit of wrong.

What I saw before me was the sight of a car just taking off out of the garage. I don't know who the driver was, or if I was standing in their rear-view mirrors, so if I would ever know them in the future was unspoken for.

What I did know was, something was telling me to follow. It was only a matter of time before Stark couldn't handle keeping me out of SHIELD's reach, especially with my record. SHIELD already doesn't like me; what's stopping them from locking me away forever?

I walked out to the edge of the garage where the black top driveway started and I sighed. Turning back up to look at the tower, a sudden need to alert Tony that I was leaving filled my being, and I couldn't shake it. Even though I knew alerting him was stupid, especially if I didn't want to end up back at SHIELD, I still felt like it was the right thing to do...

I had my mind made up. I was following that car, and I was letting Tony know about it.

Grabbing a spare Iron Man suit hand that Tony hand lying around on the cold stone floor, I activated it, and sent it flying through the upper floors. JARVIS, basically Tony's babysitter when Pepper's not around, blared sirens immediately.

"If he wasn't awake before, he's awake now..." And with the garage door halfway closed--per security measures, I'm sure--I slipped out, darting after the car.