8- Andra Matar

I stood in front of the massive skyscraper, straightening my deep purple dress and fixing my hair one last time, the city alive, even this late at night. Making a good impression-- that's what I thought mattered that night. It was so simple, but it wouldn't stay that way.

I think that if I had known what laid ahead, I would of never gone inside Avengers' Tower. I would of run down the streets and never stopped. Jumped back in the car and told the driver to step on it.

But instead, I pulled open the glass door.

And I went inside.

***

"Yay! Andra's here!" Tony said, a mix between a grimace and a smile plastered on his face.

Pepper glanced at us from across the room. I fought back a scowl and walked from the elevator up to Tony. We would play nice, as it had been agreed upon years ago. For Pepper.

"Hiii, Tony." I said in the exact same reluctant, regretful voice. This is how we dealt with each other. Not exactly friendly, not exactly mean. Pepper somehow tolerated us acting like this. Tony and I refrained from killing each other to keep her happy, and she was, so we changed nothing in our strained relationship.

"You know, I'm actually really glad you're here." He said.

I stared, trying not to let my mouth drop open, wondering if this was some kind of joke. "Uh-huh."

Very intelligent, Matar.

"I'm serious!" Tony protested. "In fact, I'm so glad you came that I made you a cake." He still had his stupid fake smile. Same false tone.

I was dumbfounded. Could it be a peace offering? There was no way. I had fun abusing billionaires. I'm sure he had a great time too. But how else? Did Pepper put him up to this?

"You made me a cake." I repeated slowly.

Something was clearly wrong in this situation. Information overload and system shutdown. The universe was broken, the only possible explanation.

Tony looked indignant. "Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. Why are you repeating what I say?"

Finally, an easy question. "Because I don't believe you." I replied, my gaze wondering around the room. All of the Avengers, Maria Hill, and a few others I didn't recognize were in attendance. This was either going to be a wild party or very socially awkward.

"You don't-" The billionaire sighed. "I'm being serious right now. This is me being one hundred percent serious."

I huffed. "Fine. What kind of cake did you totally seriously make me?" I inquired.

"Almond rum cake."

I burst out laughing rather suddenly. Heads turned to look at me, but I couldn't find it within myself to care. This was one of Tony's more amusing mess-ups.

"What? What did I do?" Tony asked, bewildered.

I composed myself once again, though a smile remained dominant on my face. "Underage and nut allergy. Nice try."

I headed over to Pepper, who was wearing a plain brown dress with a swooping neckline and matching heels. I patted Tony on the shoulder as I walked by him. "Just add some strawberries and offer some to your girlfriend." Tony tried. He tried and failed miserably. At least it was good entertainment.

My half-sister hugged me. "I'm so sorry for whatever he did."

I shrugged. "Providing moderate entertainment? He's done worse." Which is true. We've known each other for years, our relationship stained with injuries and mishaps. Luckily, there were no life-threatening events-- yet.