9 - Erin Mathis

"Whoops, our mistake!" The alien had complete control over my body, but, as it, or, I continued, I couldn't say that I didn't slightly enjoy the rush I got from it. My adrenaline surged, my pulse raced, and as I slowly became more accustomed to sharing my head, I could almost feel the alien mentally shifting over to the co-pilot seat, letting me take my newfound spirit and abilities for a joyride.

A horrifying grin was still plastered onto my face as I stepped through the flaming doorway. "It was an accident," I claimed, holding my hands up as if surrendering, my face still not faltering in the dark. "We swear."

My voice was anything but sincere.

There, standing in front of me, were the Avengers.

The.

Avengers.

"Oh, my, my, my..." I started, the shadows of SHIELD creating only a silhouette of my figure for them to see. "The Avengers!" I skipped a little, clapping my hands together once in a half excited, half prepared manner. I stopped in the middle of the semi circle they had made around the door, standing right at the feet of the girl I had inadvertently, and most likely killed. I put a faux pout on my face as I continued the façade. "This must be a pretty serious issue to have all of you aboard the heli-carrier once again." My voice took on a younger, more child-like tone as I played with the fluctuations in my voice.

"Who are you?" Iron Man, A.K.A. Tony Stark raised his metal clad arm and a bright blue light illuminated part of the room. Instinctively, the alien saw it as an immediate threat, and I mentally wailed in pain as it tried to take over again, completely. On the outside, my facial features hardened, creating poker face perfection. Flicking my wrist up, I sent a wave of electricity toward Tony's suit, and was rewarded with a scarily satisfying cry of pain from him moments later. As much as all of this should have scared me--the girl lying dead on the floor (all thanks to me, or...us), the Avengers here to stop me the sudden power that I now possessed--it didn't. It was almost natural, as if this is how it should have been from the beginning. Or maybe, it was only like this because of my initial experience as a 'normal' human being...

"Save your toys for the playground, Boss," I mutter under my breath. "You're moving up to the big leagues, and, quite frankly, you're all..." I trailed off for a moment, glancing the team of supers up and down. "Ill prepared." My eyes began to glow an opaque white in place of my usual blue, but only for a split second. Mere moments afterwards, the fire behind me increased in size and power, and the room gained an intense heat that seemed not to bother me.

I raised my hands to my waist, holding them steady on either side of me with my fingers slightly clenched. Fire spiraled from the source behind me into both of my hands, and encircled on the floor, creating a barrier that the Avengers wouldn't dare pass.

Maybe they would. They've done some pretty risky-stupid stuff in the past...

"And you kiddos can't stand the heat,"
My eyes glowed opaque white one last time. "I suggest you run."

The fire blared and I ghosted through the floor, becoming, basically intangible until I was clear of the lab ceiling beneath me.
***
The fire above seemed to die down substantially, leaving time for the Avengers to think about what they had just witnessed.

"What was that thing?" Hawkeye A.K.A., Clint Barton, relaxed his pull on the bow string, letting an arrow rest against the bow.

Thor was the first to chime in. "Supernatural..."

"Off." Natasha added a little absently, as if deep in thought, but the tremor in her voice hinted that her adrenaline still had her on edge.

"Extra-terrestrial." Banner spoke his opinion.